• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low-tech lawns

frothhelmet

Anything hi-tech can do, we can do...slower. Showcase your low-tech lawn here.

Updated list of low-tech lawn species: Marsilea Minuta, Echinodorus Tenellus, Ranalisma Rostrata, Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis, Eleocharis sp.

This is marsilea minuta. Got 55w power compact on 80 liters with ph6.5 kh4, ADA Amazonia I and Eheim Ecco canister filter. Only took 4 years to grow this. Also, no filter changes and one water change had been done in 2 years when the photo was taken (sister's tank in US I set up - what can you do...).

CIMG8604_zpsf11ab993.jpg

CIMG8602_zpsf563c27f.jpg

CIMG8601_zps39283be4.jpg

CIMG8600_zps280fcf31.jpg

CIMG8599_zps99868fc9.jpg

CIMG8603_zpsbac67e5e.jpg

Last edited:
Echi Tennellus foreground, 20 litre tank, 1 x 8W T5 on for about 7 hours (6 hours for 1st 6 weeks) and a splash of EI .

Planted early February

MiniMPlanted_zpsd26e92da.jpg

Two months later

FT010414_zps9965abe3.jpg

Wouldn't want it growing any faster, already overdue a trim lol

Of course Big Tom will be along with his awesome Lileaopsis low tech carpet that simply trumps all! :D

like the way you have an indian almond TREE stashed in the corner of the chocolate box :jimlad: Also - impressed that your ech ten goes red even without CO2 - didnt know it was possible...

Of course Big Tom will be along with his awesome Lileaopsis low tech carpet that simply trumps all!

Of course how could I forget Alistairs puddle!! Especialy when that ranalisma has struggled in many a hi tech tank!! :)

Of course Big Tom will be along with his awesome Lileaopsis low tech carpet that simply trumps all! :D

Well if you insist :p

bucket_april_14_by_hairytoes-d7d1jk9.jpg

carpet_by_hairytoes-d7dzyt8.jpg

The L. brasiliensis is getting a bit of green spot sadly, but then most of the leaves are 1-2 years old I guess.

Attachments

• carpet_by_hairytoes-d7dzyt8.jpg
    822.2 KB · Views: 292
    822.2 KB · Views: 234
Would be interesting if everyone updated their lawn post with water, soil, and lighting/liter parameters. Cheers.

you're right frothy! it would be better.
mine is 30 litre, JI NO.2 an Tesco Cat litter cap, lighting is 2x5w LED lamps on 12 hour photo period, flow is at 300lph, so 10x my capacity. Water GH 60ppm, kH 90ppm pH 6.8. Rainwater top up and that's it really.

Both low techs low light minimal water changes and occasional ferts

E. Tennelus
8367863382_cd46f88265_b.jpg
Untitled
by Mr-T-, on Flickr

Crypt and tennelus lawn:
8251310483_985a54683a_b.jpg
Untitled
by Mr-T-, on Flickr

And a mini ranalisma rostrata lawn:
8utuheqy.jpg
Well if you insist :p

bucket_april_14_by_hairytoes-d7d1jk9.jpg

The L. brasiliensis is getting a bit of green spot sadly, but then most of the leaves are 1-2 years old I guess.

Now that's just showing off...both of you...:rolleyes:

fts-1.jpg

Mixture of L. brasiliensis, L. novae-zelandiae, C. willisii, and E. parvula

Attachments

822.2 KB · Views: 204
    822.2 KB · Views: 281
  • fts-1.jpg
    fts-1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 257
  • fts-1.jpg
    fts-1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 201
Would be interesting if everyone updated their lawn post with water, soil, and lighting/liter parameters. Cheers.
Oh right...that'd be extremely hard water, pH around 7.6, very few small random water changes, soil 1:1 mix of aquatic compost and moss peat, lighting 0.33 w/l of T8 10-12 hrs/day; nutrients "Walstad way" for most of its life then dosed with a couple of mls of TNC complete per week.

Stunning low techs I am thinking of going this route , how long did that take to grow troi and also alistair and bigtom how long did carpets take low tech ?

Thanks for sharing

Sorry Deano didn't notice you'd posted...Not too long in my case, maybe a couple or 3 months, but then I always plant heavily from the outset, at least 50% carpet coverage.

I see how a successful lawn can be grown in a dirted low-tech tank but can the same be said for a tank with plain old gravel? I have a tank with Seachem flourite but lawns seem to struggle.

I don't know I've never tried to grow a lawn the low-energy way in just gravel, but I suspect it'd be very difficult. Aside from soils obvious biological benefits (the stuff in which plants grow) it has many other synergistic benefits, some perhaps not immediately obvious.
For instance, soil may guard against the impact of resource limitation, or it may give off just enough CO2 to lower the light compensation point of some plant species etc...all these little advantages probably add up to something that is more than the sum of parts and could conceivably make the difference when trying to grow a decent lawn.
Personally, I don't see the point in even trying to grow a lawn in just gravel, and it's just one more reason why I wouldn't attempt a low-energy tank without soil...;)

Back