• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Low tech Do!Aqua 60P

Didn’t have any extra sand or anything lying around that’s why I drew the dimensions of the tank onto the lid of the box is came in haha.

I’ll give it a go, it seems that you’ve used my right stone as the centre piece now, but I’m gonna try and continue using it as the right stone, buried under substrate in the back to hit the right 1/3 mark. As for the left 1/3.... may not be able to hit it but I’ll take what I can get at this point. Or maybe get a wood filer to file it down?

Hi Keith,

Let me know what you think of the below. I’ve taken your advice. The edge of the metal box is where the tank ends.

upload_2018-4-22_9-26-58.jpeg

upload_2018-4-22_9-41-2.jpeg

I prefer the second one over the first with the main stone tilted to the right a little and the right stone touching the right 1/3.

As you can see after rotating the wood to the right ever so slightly the bottom branch is touching the bottom. I plan on making a gradient from left to right anyway so this should lift the wood higher up and let the bottom right part float above the substrate.

Bottom left twiggy will be attempted to be covered by substrate, if not some plants will do the trick. Also intend to bury the left rock a little to give more emphasis to the main stone.

Thanks

Last edited:
Picked up two more pieces of spider/azalea root that I think will give me more space to work with. Will give an arrangement a go and post tonight :)

Here we go

Both new pieces
upload_2018-4-22_17-34-37.jpeg

One new combined with the older piece I had (dislike rock placements on this one)
upload_2018-4-22_17-35-15.jpeg

I’d prefer the first personally, as it seems to all flow to one direction. Thoughts?

Jon

I agree this is the best so far.
Substrate can even be cheap sand or even garden soil.

I worked the front and side out but height ??

A few rock moves to try and think about.

No 1rock move to opposite side under that twiggy piece as marked. This will give you a little height as its rather flat at the moment.

No2 rock move to the opposite side and position whichever looks the best but not level with the center front rock.

Front center rock still dominating everything. Try rotating it to lower it a lot once the substrate is in it can be lowered even more,

Have fun Keith:wave::wave:

Hi Keith,

Taking into account your advice this will more or less be the final layout.

upload_2018-4-23_13-11-10.jpeg

Height is about 25cm, should be higher with substrate

Will bury stones with substrate to plug gaps, it’s just for a general idea. Gonna submerge the wood now to get a head start on getting them waterlogged, once my lights arrive I can finally get started! I may move the right stone further to the right to create a gap/path between the left and right but remains to be seen

Thanks

Jon

That is looking better already.

Bury the middle and LH stones a bit deeper keeping the middle stone the tallest. Trying to have a small spacing between the two for appearance and water movement.
RH stone move more to the right just before the upwards turn.

Keith:wave::wave:

noted keith, wood is soaking in tank, leaching more tannins than i expected! next update will be after planting etc. :D

Thanks Keith, it’s almost cleared up now.

Any idea how many hours of lighting and how many bubbles of co2 per second I should start with? Tank should be fairly well planted at the start

Thanks Keith, it’s almost cleared up now.

Any idea how many hours of lighting and how many bubbles of co2 per second I should start with? Tank should be fairly well planted at the start
A look at the tutorials is the best way to go, but in general most of us start of with a photoperiod of only a few hours at best and a reduced lighting intensity

All filled and planted now. Outflow lilypipe came in the wrong size so have to wait for the replacement to arrive.

upload_2018-4-29_11-52-48.jpeg

Eleocharis acicularis mini carpet, some staurogyne repens near the stone, crypt wendtii green between stones and rotala Vietnam h’ra at the back of the wood

Day 4 update, starting to see some new growth on hairgrass and rotala are no stood up straight in the back

upload_2018-5-3_9-25-38.jpeg

Getting a lot of white fungus growth which from what I’ve read is normal, majority looks like this

upload_2018-5-3_9-26-30.jpeg

But some look like this

upload_2018-5-3_9-26-58.jpeg

That’s not the beginning of BBA is it?

Lucaz

Note its only on the wood and nothing else.

It should disappear in a few days but if you can remove the DW easily you could take it out and give it a good hose down and scrub it with a clean stiff brush. If possible leave it in the sun to dry out.

Keith:clap::clap:

Thanks Keith, I think I’ll just leave it and let it subside else I’m sure the algae crew will have some fun with it once I add them.

Only been half a week since I’ve planted and already can’t wait to start adding livestock!

Back