• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech BG plant

idris

I have a corner of my tank that needs something to fill it and could do with some recommendations.
  • The tank is a bit over 2ft deep and 250L so something tall is needed.
  • Very low tech: low light (for the depth and size), no CO2, no ferts
  • I have some Crypt at the other end (I can't remember which varieity but it looks a lot like Vallis) and would like somethng that contrasts.
  • Stem plants would be a relatively good option as I'm not the most diligent person when it comes to water changes and something that sucks nutrients out of the water column could be beneficial.
Thoughts?
TIA.

Vallisneria... :)

A variety of Aponogeton would be my choice. They would be more costly than Valls, but less maintenance. I’m unsure how they would do with no ferts though. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chip in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A variety of Aponogeton

Can be a tad difficult in low energy setups.. I faild with few of them in a much shallower low energy tank. Tall tnaks have even less light penetration. It seem to be rather sensitive plant sp. to light requirments and other paramaters. Hence Tropica.com lables these plants as Medium difficulty.. :)

Another option could be a tall piece off wood stacked with Microsorums or Anubias.. There are also some rather tall Anubias sp. around that you could glue to a smaller piece of wood.

Hard to give advice on this without any pics to see what you are advicing on.. :). But with a tall low energy tank, you are somewhat limited in suitable tall plants to cover a whole corner.

Hi all,
Stem plants would be a relatively good option as I'm not the most diligent person when it comes to water changes and something that sucks nutrients out of the water column could be beneficial.
Vallisneria
A variety of Aponogeton would be my choice.
I have some Crypt at the other end (I can't remember which varieity but it looks a lot like Vallis) and would like somethng that contrasts.
I think they are good options, a big Aponogeton sp., like <"Aponogeton ulvaceus"> would do.

If you want a contrasting stem plant <"Hygrophila corymbosa"> might be an option.
There are also some rather tall Anubias sp. around that you could glue to a smaller piece of wood.
A large Anubias would definitely do.

cheers Darrel

Crypt Balansae

Crypt Balansae takes month's in my low tech to finally reach the surface but does good in lower light .Will take over a corner and send out numerous runner;s to possibly area's where you don't want it.IME
I too think Aponogeton would work well but some I have tried seem to go dormant after some month's, and bloom again at alter date.
I did not know this early on, and pulled out the bulbs thinking they died.
Best back ground stem plant for me ,has been water sprite and oddly enough star grass which if left alone will grow bushy as well as tall.
it is the background plant in avatar photo.

Crypt Balansae takes month's in my low tech to finally reach the surface but does good in lower light .

I found them to get going really quick, in my non co2 lowish lit tank they were actually the first plants I could actually visually see some growth in. Know what you mean about springing up where you don't want them though. First sign of them appearing where I don't want them I tend just to pull them up enough to see a white bit of root and cut them off with the scissors otherwise they will destroy your substrate if you try an pull them out much further.

Maybe mine got going fast because I had Osmocote under the gravel so they had a nutritious base layer from the off.

I found them to get going really quick, in my non co2 lowish lit tank they were actually the first plants I could actually visually see some growth in. Know what you mean about springing up where you don't want them though. First sign of them appearing where I don't want them I tend just to pull them up enough to see a white bit of root and cut them off with the scissors otherwise they will destroy your substrate if you try an pull them out much further.

Maybe mine got going fast because I had Osmocote under the gravel so they had a nutritious base layer from the off.

Well me thinks it depends on how long or tall the plant's might be when planted.
Last bunch of crypt balansae I got was already near 20 cm as opposed to previous bunch that was only around 8 cm.
Yes,,I believe nutritious substrate to provide better result s than inert with many/most species of the weed's.
I have the Balansae in 2 yr old soil based tank, and I too sprinkled some osmocote on the glass before covering it with soil and capping the soil.
I also add nutrient's to water column once a week for benefit of all plant's.
I have the balansae on back glass but frequently find runner's trying to poke their head's up at the front among the crypt parva and Buce.
I do like you ,and cut these new shoot's back with scissor's lest I pull up the parva and or buce plants.

I think @Edvet had some star grass I could be wrong in one of his cichlid tanks which looked really cool, very wild and natural looking. Something I've been trying to lay my hands on hint hint.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Crypt Balansae are the tall Vallis like plants I couldn't remember. I think the Aponogeton will be different enough and should fill the space.

Any thoughts on Aponogeton Crispus. (I've found some really cheap on Plants Alive.)

Back