• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low Tech 150 litre – First Steps

John Nicholson

Seedling
This will be my first ever attempt at an aquarium (planted or otherwise) and therefore any help/criticism would be extremely welcome. I am looking to create a tank that I can enjoy for the long term. I don’t want or plan to be rescaping it very often.

I am still in the final planning stages, so no photos just yet. The current plan, unless I am advised to the contrary, is something like this:

Overall Approach – Low Tech. Using CO2 seems like way too much effort, particularly for a beginner, and really want a tank that is low maintenance so I can enjoy it rather than it becoming a chore to look after. Slow and steady is fine with me.

Tank – I am thinking of going for the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 40 which is a 150 litre all-in-one marine style tank with a rear filter chamber. This is because:

1. The place I want the tank to sit is an existing worktop without any cupboards below so there is nowhere to put an external filter.

2. I would prefer not to have any visible equipment inside the tank as to me it kind of ‘breaks the illusion’ that you are looking in on a natural environment. With this tank I could conceal the filter, heater etc. in the rear.

3. The dimensions of the tank are perfect for the spot I have in mind.

4. It is a lovely looking tank with low iron glass and a great finish.

The main reservation I have is that like a lot of tanks aimed at marine fishkeepers, this tank does not come with a hood. As I do not want to risk any jumpers (my 3 year old daughter would be too shocked by the experience of a crispy fish on the floor) and want to avoid too much evaporation, I am thinking of constructing my own hood with a condensation tray and built-in lighting. This bit could be quite fun, if a little tricky. Anyone foresee any problems with this?

Lighting – I am considering the Satellite Pro+ led system. I appreciate that this will be way over-powered for a low tech tank, but I love the look of the level of functionality that it comes with (auto ramp up/down and total colour control etc.) and I can always re-use it for a high tech tank if I decide to go that way in the future. I will just dial the power right down and use a short photoperiod.

Filtration – If I go for the IM Nuvo then I will use the rear chamber to house the filtration. Precise details still to be figured out. I also think I may need to replace the stock pump with something a little less powerful.

Aquascape – As the tank will be viewed from three sides am thinking of an ‘island’ style scape with a central island of rocks, wood and plants. I would like a sand substrate (at least in part). In fact, for simplicity I am toying with the idea of not having any plants rooted in the substrate, but only using plants that can attach to the hardscape like Anubias, Java Ferns and mosses. Are there any potential problems with that approach? Do I really need to get some stem plants in there somewhere?

Fish/Inverts – Still to be decided but I would definitely like a shoal of Tetras as large as I can get away with (probably either Glowlight, Ember or Rummynose). Possibly a couple of Dwarf Cichlids, maybe a few small catfish and some shrimp for good measure.

If you think I am making any serious errors of judgement then it would be great if you could let me know before I start clicking the ‘spend cash’ button. Otherwise, I am crossing my fingers and going for it.

Hi John
Welcome to the UKaps:thumbup:
Have a look at George Farmers low-tech!
https://ukaps.org/forum/threads/my-best-low-tech-scape-so-far.38709/
You could use acrylic sheet for a cover/hood!
Purchase some fast growing stem plants which can be used as floating plants also....these will help cycle the set-up to maturity!
You can discard them later!
You wont need to replace the pump....going by the 10x capacity filtration rule of thumb!
Plants are fine for this set-up....purchase a All in One fertilizer and dose weekly.
If this is going to be a long term Low-Tech....there is lots of substrates available.
I would purchase a substrate similar to Seachem a tad expensive but it will be worth it in the long run!
This substrate is not as messy as the softer planting substrates....which can be a tad cloudy on initial set-up.
Its available in gravel and sand!
upload_2017-4-2_6-59-34.png

I've had good success with this product...in the past!....Low-Tech.
Cheers
hoggie

IM tanks are lovely - only caveat is the black silicone (I like it just fine ;) )

IM does list a mesh screen lid kit (check that clips are included) their accessories list
You'll likely also want the fish guard & possibly the media basket at some point

I don't think the Satellite Pro + will be excessive given the tank height of 48cm, don't take the light level down too low, be moderate & adjust up/down as needed, I'd plan on a liquid carbon compound such as Seachem Excel initially (will help reduce algae if nothing else) or a basic CO2 system such as Tropica System 60 (low pressure & simple to use) to help plants establish

Filter - stock lists a flow rate ~10x tank volume (should be adjustable to some degree) so I'd just use that to start

Plants - sounds fine, though I'd include some floaters to start (& maybe always)

Livestock - I'd skip the rummy's as they really deserve a 90cm tank length minimum

Green neons or similar size would allow you a large shoal without overstocking (they also do better with shrimp than rummy's)

Depending on tap water parameters & fish load you may do fine with no additional fertilizers, or light doses

Sand substrate - you only need a couple cm depth, stir this up (gently) during water changes or keep enough cory's or other substrate sifting fish to keep substrate "turned"

Kezzab, Hoggie, Alto - Thanks for taking the time to give me some great suggestions and food for thought. I really appreciate it.

Right, starting to get going. First piece of equipment has arrived. Current Satellite + Pro LED light.

20170428_220645.jpg

Arrived intact after 3 weeks of being shipped around the east cost of the US and across the Atlantic. Looks like a really good unit, very well made. Can't wait to see it in proper action.

As it was a US import the 12v transformer has a US-style plug. Didn't want a US/UK adapter cluttering the place up so bought a replacement UK transformer of identical voltage and amp-age. Works just fine and fits nice and close to the socket.

20170428_220724.jpg

Tank arrives later this week. Can't wait.

The fact that I last posted in April and it is now almost September tells you everything you need to know about the problems I have had taking delivery of the tank. Thankfully those are all now behind me and I am now in possession of a lovely new Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion Mini 40. The build quality of the tank is excellent and I am really happy with it.

Whilst I have been waiting I have not been wasting time, but have been stocking up on everything else I need, which means I am readyto get the tank scaped and wet this weekend. Purchases include:
  • Sicce Syncra Silent return pump (the stock pump seemed very noisy so I am hoping this will be better - initial tests suggest so).
  • Fluval E series heater.
  • Intank media baskets with various filter media.
  • Dragonstone and redmoor root for hardscape. Got two good pieces of wood online. One of them I think is actually Manzanita although it was advertised as Redmoor. Not to worry, it looks great.
  • Unipac Fiji course sand for a substrate.
  • All the accessories I need like nets, test kits, ferts etc.
I have also manufactured a hinged oak lid, which is protected by a Perspex screen with a feeding hatch. It actually looks much better than I expected!

Plants are also ordered. I decided that I am going for epiphytes only and have gone for a variety of Anubias, Java Fern and Moss as follows:
Anubias Nana
Anubias Nana Golden
Anubias Nana Mini
Anubia Barteri Nana 'Bonsai'
Anubia Barteri 'Compact'
Microsorum Pteropus 'Petite'
Microsorum Pteropus 'Narrow'
Taxiphillium 'Flame' Moss
Fissidens Fontanus Moss

Hopefully the plants will form a nice cohesive look. I was going to order some floating plants as advised by others above, but in my excitement I forgot. May need to place another order depending. Plants are being delivered tomorrow.

My aim now is to make an environment which will look good but primarily will be a good home for the fish, with lots of swim-through areas, caves and cover etc.

Will report back and post pictures when it is done, probably on Sunday. Wish me luck.

Attachments

• Tank2.jpg
    Tank2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 219
Back