• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low light house plant recommendation

Nont

Hi guys,

I am facing green, black spot, fuzz and hair algae in my iwagumi scape and looking for plants that can quickly absorp excess nutrients from the water.
Can anyone recommends house plants that can be added in a HOB breeding box and tolerates very low light conditions? Also is flowrate of this HOB breeding box enough for house plants to make any difference?

nutrients don't cause algae, but if you want to quickly remove nutrients from the water, the fastest way is to do a water change.

As for low light houseplants in HOB, Monstera Adansonii doesn't need a huge amount of light but it does need some light, So it all depends on what 'very low light' means.

I plan to get a Ludisia discolor for my HOB eventually, as I read that they are ok with moist conditions

I agree with erwin. If you do decide that you want a plant to grow out of the filter anyway then ficus pumila does well in low light.

nutrients don't cause algae, but if you want to quickly remove nutrients from the water, the fastest way is to do a water change.
So the “excess nutrients cause algae” thing is not scientific? I’m a bit confused, can you explain?

If that’s the case, I would probably go H2O2 injecting route then.

Cheers

So the “excess nutrients cause algae” thing is not scientific? I’m a bit confused, can you explain?

Cheers

Before I discovered UKAPS I also thought that too much ferts cause algae!

Anyway, there's an entire subforum on algae, including this pinned thread:

One of the only house plants that will reliably flower in low to very low light is a peace lily. Don’t know if that is something that matters for you. I hear they do well in aquariums too.

They stay smaller in lower light as well, which is good because they can grow enormous with their roots in a tank.

Pond42.jpg

Taken from Round indoor pond project queries.

Anyway, there's an entire subforum on algae, including this pinned thread:

Will have a look through.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Unfortunately I want only one species of plants in the tank for that HOB size,
so I gotta give Monstera adansonii a try.

Cheers

Back