• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Losing more fish ...

84Reasons

So I got rid of some of my neons due to suspected neon tetra disease, this was confirmed/also suspected by other knowledgeable people.

In light of my recent luck, I also lost my betta to saddleback just yesterday, it acted lighting fast and within 12 hours of noticing the symptoms he was dead. I noticed the symptoms at night so no shops were open to grab any medicine, I ordered something on amazon to come the next day but he was already gone in the morning. :(

Following even more of my luck, I've lost two of my threadfin rainbowfish.... neither showed signs of saddleback, and I don't think they can get neon tetra disease, so my question is, could they have suffocated? I recently turned the CO2 up in my tank pre a re-scape, with the drop checker on lime green now, I haven't seen any signs of them gasping for air as they did when I raised it too high, but I know they have a lower tolerance to co2 than other fish?

If it is not the co2 then I have some serious issues. I have a quarantine tank arriving today which I plan to put the surviving neons in to hopefully treat them of either a secondary disease or just to stop them from infecting anyone else with neon tetra disease.

I have tested my water using the dreaded water test kits (ntlabs) and I have 0 on everything, the only thing I haven't tested is nitrates but I do 3x30% water changes so I assume this would negate that?

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm very worried at the moment.

Hi all,
I've lost two of my threadfin rainbowfish.... neither showed signs of saddleback, and I don't think they can get neon tetra disease, so my question is, could they have suffocated? I recently turned the CO2 up in my tank pre a re-scape
I'd definitely turn it back down, it may not be the cause, but it is the parameter that you've changed recently.

cheers Darrel

Agreed, it's extremely difficult to isolate any one factor in these kinds of situations. Just to throw another thing out there, I'm also in London, and have had a few mysterious deaths in past years in established (non-CO2) tanks with previously healthy fish. I moved to using rainwater cut with a small amount of tap, and have noticed some improvement.

Agreed, it's extremely difficult to isolate any one factor in these kinds of situations. Just to throw another thing out there, I'm also in London, and have had a few mysterious deaths in past years in established (non-CO2) tanks with previously healthy fish. I moved to using rainwater cut with a small amount of tap, and have noticed some improvement.

I've been thinking lately it may be worth switching to RO water but with the 3x water changes I do and no storage space for a large amount of water I'm not sure how I'd manage ....

Back