• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Looks Interesting for a Moss

Gill

Browsing BAND and saw this listing.
Looks cool if it does indeed grow like this.

1683221613267.png

I keep looking at that and wondering how long it would take to get from a flat mesh to a big bush!
Fairily rare, unique and beautiful aquarium moss which grows upward like a stem plant. Also known as "Hooker Moss". This is a slower growing moss, so less trimming involved. The fronds do branch out, creating a nice, lush carpet as it grows in. Upward growing moss such as Hookeriaceae is great for raising shrimp and fry, as it provides cover and surface area.

Hookeriaceae is a very sensitive moss. Keep your temperature below 74°F and pH should be 7.4 or lower for best results. Mature, stable tanks are required for hookeriaceae and other sensitive mosses.

Incredible . Whenever I see these cases, I wonder how many species are as of yet unexploited or so rare as to make them pretty much unknown. Take S. America, for instance, and I suspect much of Asia and Africa. The percentage of discovered species is really low, and of the discovered ones, theres thousands that never made it to the hobby. Conservation-wise, a lot of work could be done by making them available. Of course, the risk of ecosystem invasion is also there.

I have a few pads of that moss. It does grow vertically like that, even if you just lash some 1mm cuttings into a mesh pad. It is slow growing though, and does seem to need a lot more light that most mosses.

I've also had/have it. As wookii says it seems to need high light and I've found it to be a bit of an algae magnet, which is why I say 'had it' as I'm not sure it'll shake it at this point.

I have Hookeriacea Distichophyllum and Cameroon moss, as well as a few others. I'll try and post pictures assuming they do well.

I've seen posts on Star moss too, which I also have the largest ever clump of, but not sure how, or if, it could be maintained long term as it will periods emersed.

I've experimented with terrestrial mosses in the past, with a little success - very interesting to see the change in growth though they typically tend to reach.

Fantastic looking moss.

So it needs higher lighting and is slow growing, how'd you practically keep it.clear of algea?

Hi all,
I have Hookeriacea Distichophyllum and Cameroon moss, as well as a few others. I'll try and post pictures assuming they do well.
We have some posts about <"Cameroon "moss">. I'm pretty sure it is a <"Leafy Liverwort">, but naming is more difficult after that.
I've experimented with terrestrial mosses in the past, with a little success - very interesting to see the change in growth though they typically tend to reach.
@zozo (Marcel) found the same, they all tend to look the same submersed, like <"stringy moss">.

I've got <"quite a few native mosses">, but <"putting a definitive name to them"> is more problematic.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

We have some posts about <"Cameroon "moss">. I'm pretty sure it is a <"Leafy Liverwort">, but naming is more difficult after that.

@zozo (Marcel) found the same, they all tend to look the same submersed, like <"stringy moss">.

I've got <"quite a few native mosses">, but <"putting a definitive name to them"> is more problematic.

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel,

Yes I seem to recall reading, somewhere, that Cameroon moss is actually a species of liverwort, and it certainly appears that way.

Indeed, they all ended up rather 'stringy', though some appeared to do better long-term than others - like they wouldn't ever give up reaching for the surface. [I recorded the progress somewhere if I can ever find the pictures]

Back