• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Looking to change my substrate

What plants have you tried previously? Do you have plant preferences? Your javafern looks very healthy. With your tank, I'd be tempted to consider some branchy wood for towards the back and tie on a nice selection of anubias. That would give you some height and they are easy to grow. I've also seen people use small pieces of wood stuck with suckers to the back glass to make a nice back wall of anubias. Some crypts e.g. wendti are easy too - I'd second having a look at the tropica easy category.

Do you know how hard your water is? I use rainwater in the tanks and Vallisneria won't grow for me either.
My water is actually quite hard, about 8 GH (I bought a GH & KH test kit 2 weeks ago) so hopefully that will be beneficial to some plants I try to grow. I only recently learned that cardinal's prefer very soft water and I debated going down the RO route but that's going to open a whole other world of problems IMO, I'll try and learn plants first then maybe go down that route in the future but my cardinal's seem to be doing great tbh.

Right, thats a waste of money. CO2 has to be applied continuously during the photoperiod (when the plants are "inhaling" CO2) and in proper amounts. Arguably the most stunning tanks are CO2 injected, but I wouldn't recommend going there until you mastered the low-tech domain and when you do, you will have to consider if you want to deal with the complexities of CO2 injection.
Yeah I kind of knew in the back of my head it was probably a waste of money but it was a desperate act of trying to have a planted aquarium I guess :confused:
I would switch over to a complete fertilizer as suggested by @sparkyweasel and @dw1305, such as TNC Complete. Vallisneria are prone to melting when dosing liquid CO2 so you might want to stop that if you want to keep the Vallisneria - happened to me several times until I was told about the adverse effect to certain plants and mosses.
Okay so this advice seems consistent throughout this thread, so I've stopped dosing liquid CO2, and I've bought a bottle of TNC Complete (ofcourse Amazon wouldn't deliver it to me so I had to get it of eBay, no next day delivery :thumbdown:) I looked a little in to this TNC Complete whilst I was in work last night and I was seeing the term "double triple dose".. Whats that about? Should I just dose the reccommended to begin with? 1 ml / 10L and see how it goes from there?
I highly recommend adding more plants to the tank, its always beneficial... More Vallisneriia, Swords etc. Go for plants in the Tropica easy category.
Trust me, if I can nail this and actually get plants to thrive in my aquarium my cardinal's will be living in a freaking jungle :p
26 C is unnecessary high. My cardinals and other tetras, shrimps and plants are doing just fine at 23.5 - 24 C - and Cardinals in their natural habitats are routinely found in waters that are 23 C. At lower temps your slowing down the metabolism of the tank (fish and plants), increasing the amount of dissolved Oxygen and CO2. Not much, but everything counts.
Strange, I always believed cardinal's preferred warmer water, it's insane the amount of different information on the internet. I'll maybe drop the temp a degree or so for now and see how things go.
I am not a big fan of having direct sun light hitting my tanks. It's not necessarily always a problem, but it can cause uncontrolled algae blooms... I would limit it.
I'm not a fan of sun light on my tank either, but unfortunately I don't have much of a choice right now as I've recently moved back to my parent's whilst I save for a mortgage and beside a window is the only place for my aquarium :rolleyes: I have pulled the curtain's on about 70% of the window to limit the light, I guess I could pull them all the way but I don't want to sit in darkness all the time.
I just grabbed this quick picture of my tank right now with no CO2 and completely inert sand as substrate, to show you that you dont have to have soil to grow plants :thumbup:
I definitely have to feed my plants well, since nothing is in the substrate, they depend on water column fertilizer for their needs.
It might be not all plants will like your tank, but a majority will. Ive failed with vallisneria before, I think my water is too soft.

View attachment 177308

I see you have gotten great advice already, I would try out what they say before any substrate change.
Damn man, that is a beautiful low tech tank, that's some motivation right there to get mine heavily planted :)
What plants have you tried previously? Do you have plant preferences? Your javafern looks very healthy. With your tank, I'd be tempted to consider some branchy wood for towards the back and tie on a nice selection of anubias. That would give you some height and they are easy to grow. I've also seen people use small pieces of wood stuck with suckers to the back glass to make a nice back wall of anubias. Some crypts e.g. wendti are easy too - I'd second having a look at the tropica easy category.
I can't remember the names of them unfortunately, the only one I remember is the Limnophila sessiliflora, but yes I'm planning a whole rescape soon (everything except the substrate), I'm going to my LFS this friday to pick up some bits of drift wood and other bits and bobs and I'll probably re-work this tank within the next month or so. I just want to see if I can get plants to grow first before going and buying a bunch and watching them all melt.

My water is actually quite hard, about 8 GH (I bought a GH & KH test kit 2 weeks ago) so hopefully that will be beneficial to some plants I try to grow. I only recently learned that cardinal's prefer very soft water and I debated going down the RO route but that's going to open a whole other world of problems IMO, I'll try and learn plants first then maybe go down that route in the future but my cardinal's seem to be doing great tbh.
Cardinal do just fine at around 8 GH, What is your KH? 8 GH straight from the tap is pretty good, as long as your Mg content, which can be very low in your part of the world, is good as well. (you will get some Mg with TNC complete as well).

Okay so this advice seems consistent throughout this thread, so I've stopped dosing liquid CO2, and I've bought a bottle of TNC Complete (ofcourse Amazon wouldn't deliver it to me so I had to get it of eBay, no next day delivery :thumbdown:) I looked a little in to this TNC Complete whilst I was in work last night and I was seeing the term "double triple dose".. Whats that about? Should I just dose the reccommended to begin with? 1 ml / 10L and see how it goes from there?
If you do 50% water changes weekly (and add more plants) I recommend dosing 7 ml after the WC and then 7 ml every other day. (28 ml weekly, or skip one and do 21 ml weekly). The 1L bottle at £18 should last about 9 months.
Trust me, if I can nail this and actually get plants to thrive in my aquarium my cardinal's will be living in a freaking jungle :p
You will greatly increase the chances of nailing it if you add more plants immediately.
Strange, I always believed cardinal's preferred warmer water, it's insane the amount of different information on the internet. I'll maybe drop the temp a degree or so for now and see how things go.
Yes, I was under that impression for a long time as well. I've seen trustworthy testimonials from people keeping them at 21 C... Thats too low for me though.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi all,
Should I just dose the reccommended to begin with? 1 ml / 10L and see how it goes from there?
Start with that.
looked a little in to this TNC Complete whilst I was in work last night and I was seeing the term "double triple dose".. Whats that about?
Because "TNC Complete" is quite a dilute fertiliser mix, at its recommended dosage, it doesn't supply enough nutrients when you have a large biomass of rapidly growing plants. This particularly applies to high tech. tanks where CO2 availability is higher.

Access to <"atmospheric CO2"> is one of the reasons I like <"a floating plant"> as my <"nutrient canary">.

In your case I'm pretty sure that you are deficient in at least one mineral nutrient, so hopefully once the plants get that nutrient (whichever one(s) it may be) they <"will start growing">.

cheers Darrel

Cardinal do just fine at around 8 GH, What is your KH? 8 GH straight from the tap is pretty good, as long as your Mg content, which can be very low in your part of the world, is good as well. (you will get some Mg with TNC complete as well).
My KH from the tap is 5-6, in my aquarium it sits at 4. That 8 GH I was referring to was in my aquarium, I just measured it from the tap there now and its 11 GH.
If you do 50% water changes weekly (and add more plants) I recommend dosing 7 ml after the WC and then 7 ml every other day. (28 ml weekly, or skip one and do 21 ml weekly). The 1L bottle at £18 should last about 9 months.
I will start doing more frequent WC's, I'm going to buy one of those electric siphons (just for transferring water, not for gravel vaccing) because my aquarium is in a really awkward place since I moved back to my parents and it makes manual siphoning really difficult , having an electric siphon will make life a whole lot easier as I am currently forced to using 25L plastic jerry can's to complete my WC's. On the topic of gravel vaccing, it's something I've always wondered.. How often do you guys gravel vac? I have always gravel vac'd everytime I do a WC but that's because I know my WC aren't as frequent but what if I'm doing them weekly, should I still gravel vac every time?
You will greatly increase the chances of nailing it if you add more plants immediately.
Noted ;)
Hi all,

Start with that.

Because "TNC Complete" is quite a dilute fertiliser mix, at its recommended dosage, it doesn't supply enough nutrients when you have a large biomass of rapidly growing plants. This particularly applies to high tech. tanks where CO2 availability is higher.

Access to <"atmospheric CO2"> is one of the reasons I like <"a floating plant"> as my <"nutrient canary">.

In your case I'm pretty sure that you are deficient in at least one mineral nutrient, so hopefully once the plants get that nutrient (whichever one(s) it may be) they <"will start growing">.

cheers Darrel
Thanks! Currently waiting on the post man arriving :rolleyes:

My KH from the tap is 5-6, in my aquarium it sits at 4. That 8 GH I was referring to was in my aquarium, I just measured it from the tap there now and its 11 GH.
If you live anywhere near Swatragh/Belfast then those tap readings above won't be a million miles out, you'll also find you've about 8mg/l of magnesium in the tap water, which in my opinion is enough for your current set up. You can check the exact amounts via this website ~Water quality results - Northern Ireland Water ~ just add your postcode and it will give you the results.

To be honest mate I wouldn't worry to much about kh or gh, people often disappear down rabbit holes searching for "the magical formula" of planted tanks, only to re appear years later with carrots sticking out their ears. 😉

Last edited:
To be honest mate I wouldn't worry to much about kh or gh, people often disappear down rabbit holes searching for "the magical formula" of planted tanks, only to re appear years later with carrots sticking out their ears. 😉
Hi @John q For plants, I generally agree. For livestock I would recommend KH/GH down in the single digits. 5-8 GH is a good compromise for a lot of Tetras, shrimps, Dwarf Cichlids etc. A low KH enables you to acidify the water naturally without too much effort... and both lower range KH/GH sort of goes hand in hand if you're targeting a low TDS. But I agree, don't get carried away chasing ideal water parameters.

Cheers,
Michael

For plants, I generally agree. For livestock I would recommend KH/GH down in the single digits. 5-8 GH is a good compromise for a lot of Tetras, shrimps, Dwarf Cichlids etc. A low KH enables you to acidify the water naturally without too much effort... and both lower range KH/GH sort of goes hand in hand if you're targeting a low TDS
Yeah I'd agree with that mate.
Was just trying to suggest to the Op that sometimes its better to accept what's coming out of the tap and work with that.

I've had my 70L aquarium for approximately 2 years now, it's well established and houses 20 cardinal tetras and they're doing great.

Your fish will tell you if the water isn't to their liking.

Seem to be having a bit of trouble getting TNC Complete delivered to me. Amazon wouldn't deliver, ebay seller cancelled the order so I bought from Horizon Aquatics yesterday at lunch time but no sign of a dispatch email :confused:

Okay, finally received a bottle of TNC Complete! I'll be posting updates on this thread on my plant health and when I add more plants/ rescape :) Quick question, does this stuff need refridgerated? I recently learned that I was supposed to refridgerate my Seachem Flourish after 3 months of opening the bottle which I did not do so I'm not even sure how useful this bottle is anymore, I've owned it for like a year at this point probably.

does this stuff need refridgerated?
I don't know specifically for TNC complete. I've never stored fertilizer in the fridge myself, but I know some people do so - And Seachem recommend it for flourish (their "complete") - so why not. A dark, dry and not too warm place usually suffice. The salts should be ok either way, but long term some of the chelates (such as Iron) may go "bad" if not stored appropriately.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I just grabbed this quick picture of my tank right now with no CO2 and completely inert sand as substrate, to show you that you dont have to have soil to grow plants :thumbup:
I definitely have to feed my plants well, since nothing is in the substrate, they depend on water column fertilizer for their needs.
It might be not all plants will like your tank, but a majority will. Ive failed with vallisneria before, I think my water is too soft.

View attachment 177308

I see you have gotten great advice already, I would try out what they say before any substrate change.

What a stunning tank!!!..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back