• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Looking for Stocking Suggestions

NotoriousENG

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some suggestions on stocking. My tank is high-tech heavily planted 20 gallon long, running on a 10-gallon sump. Currently, the tank has neo shrimp, one mystery snail, two nerite snails, two Amano shrimp, and a handful of trumpet snails. I use tap water in the tank with a dGH of 8, dKH of 7, and pre-CO2 pH of 7.7. As of now the tank is unheated and runs at room temperature (20-22 C).

My original plan was for the only fish to Tanichthys micagemmae or White clouds. However, I have had no luck finding the Tanichthys micagemmae. I've had a local store their wholesalers about them for almost two months without any luck. Looking online has also turned up little luck, and even if I can order them I'm not sure if I want to go the mail-order route. Unfortunately, I've also had no look finding white clouds. Plenty of the stores near me carry gold white clouds but said they are not able to get the normal color variant that I greatly prefer. I'm still holding out hope on the Tanichthys micagemmae, but figure it's time to look at some alternatives as well.

So I am wondering what suggestions everyone can offer for fish that do well in my moderately hard tap water. I have a heater I can add, so temperature isn't an issue. In the past, I've considered peacock gudgeons or sparkling gouramis. Aside from both having a reputation as shrimp munchers I worry that they would not do well in my tap water. I also have lots of flow which I hear the sparkling gouramis don't do well in.
20211205_175403.jpg

Nice looking tank! WCMM's would look good in there. You could consider some Danio's also, such as Gold Ring Danios, some of which appreciate decent flow and are a more temperate fish. Barb's could also be a consideration, such as Cherry Barb's, which also appear fine in lower temps and a bit of flow. Finally live bearers are generally fine in a bit of flow and prefer harder water.

Hi, I always get a little confused with US tank sizes, is the 20 gallon long 30x12x12"? If it is then danios would be great. Wookii's gold ring suggestion is good but glowlight danios might be another option. They do tend to be more feisty with one another so you'd need a good group size.

Don’t be afraid of mail order! It’s becoming the new standard of acquiring fish. Think about it this way, how do you think your local shop gets their fish? The only difference is now you have to pay shipping (which your paying when you pay your fish shop prices anyway).

I HIGHLY recommend you visit AquaHuna’s website. They have your White Clouds for a reasonable price and shipping is only 12.99. I’ve used them several times and am very happy with their service. They also have an excellent DOA policy.

Plot twist, I would consider some gobies! Since it's long and low, good flow and cooler water. You may want to add some pebbles in there but they would be really interesting. Particularly like Stiphondon ornatus, but the classic blue would be lovely too.

I would keep the gobies in a small group, and then wait for the minnows, some fish are just only available at certain times of the year for some reason.

Plot twist, I would consider some gobies! Since it's long and low, good flow and cooler water. You may want to add some pebbles in there but they would be really interesting. Particularly like Stiphondon ornatus, but the classic blue would be lovely too.

I would keep the gobies in a small group, and then wait for the minnows, some fish are just only available at certain times of the year for some reason.
I would love to do gobies or hillstream loaches, they've caught my eye many times. I'm just concerned they wouldn't do well in water. Also concerned about how they would do with co2 injection since i believe they come from very oxygen rich streams?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Back