• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

looking for lights to light a 120x57.5x55 tank

john6

there is no budget but i like getting my monies worth, i dont mind paying if it is worth it. It will be a Non co2 tank with easy grow plants.
Ived looked at the Fluval plant 3.0 but i dont like the spread, i see chihiros mentioned sometime but look expensive for what looks like cheap chinese lights which dont deserve the price tag. I have AI Primes on my Discus tank which i like the look of and easy controllable but i feel they are overkill for this new project. Most aquatic companies concentrate on reef lighting so what would you recommend?

Chihiros actually make a really good light with lots of programmability.

If you’re jus after a generic light that’s not anything special, then just look at all pond solutions. You’ll likely need to buy a separate controller of the Bay for £10. But all in you’re probably looking at £50 and it’ll get the job done.

Equally look at Nicrew or something like that.

There are dozens of chinese brands
Honpal, AQQA, Hyggar, ect ect at Amazon UK.

Going a bit upscale w/ no bells and whistles:
Finnex
Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light
Correct size and does not seem to be available atm and no included dimmer.
With a wider tank you are better off w/ 2 units of any of these small strip lights

120 degree diodes at say 8cm off the water surface has a beam diameter of approx 30cm.

Need to adhere to physics if one wants better coverage top/bottom ..front/back from the get go.

Chihiros WRGB - £275 minus the current 10% off (just for a few more days) from one seller on eBay. I had Plant 3.0 and raised it higher for better spread. Then got Chihiros. It is significantly better. Well worth the discounted ebay price. But the App is worse

Chihiros WRGB - £275 minus the current 10% off (just for a few more days) from one seller on eBay. I had Plant 3.0 and raised it higher for better spread. Then got Chihiros. It is significantly better. Well worth the discounted ebay price. But the App is worse
I just dont feel that comfy paying that price for a Chinese light. What is customer service like?

I just dont feel that comfy paying that price for a Chinese light. What is customer service like?
Have a chat to Nicole at Horizon Aquatics and have a look on the website. They stock Chihiros and their customer service is excellent. I've got a Vivid 2 only had it for around two months but I'm really pleased with it.

What's the particular objection to a 'Chinese' light? The vast majority of aquarium lights - even those from ADA, are manufactured in China.

Probably all if not most lights are made in china, is Chihiros a Chinese brand, yes. Are their lights good? Absolutely.
I’d definitely recommend a Chihiros light to anyone.

Just because it is made in China doesnt make it rubbish, but take for example jebao vs ecotech, Jebao chinese company who make cheap things hence why they are cheap, ecotech American company who make quality items hence more expensive, I have a choice whether to pay a premium price for an ecotech pump or cheap price for a chinese brand, what i object to is paying a premium price for a Chinese brand light with from what i have read very poor customer service, if any. I would much rather pay a premium and get quality merchandise and first class customer service.
Made in China is not the same as Made BY China.

Back