• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Long thin tank?

jameson_uk

Guess this is the best place to post...
As part of redecorating the front room I spy a place for a tank I have considered for a while....

I am thinking of something that is quite long but fairly narrow / shallow (something like https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/mc-mountains-12g-long.42122/) but I am struggling to find any nice tanks which are these type of dimensions (say 90x30x30 or even 120x30x30).

Are tanks like this rare / not produced because they just won't work with the amount of flow you need to get turnover or just not what people want?

That tank in the topic you link to is a standard size build from Mr. Aqua - 12 gallon long.. Looked into it when t first came out. If i remember correctly it is 120x20x20 cm and not cheap, it's USA build i believe.. So getting it in th UK might be a challange.. Also not sure if i remember correctly it was James Findley from the GreenMachine using this thank for his Tributary scape (Which is an outstanding beautifull scape by the way). So maybe he's retailer of Mr Aqua tanks too.. :)

But as Tim says, find you a tank builder and anything is possible. I guess any LFS could point you to one.. Another nice option would be, contact an aquarium club, they always have custom tank builders around. :)

I would love a long thin tank, just dont have a long spot to put one!
Somewhere between 3:1 and 4:1 looks nice to me. Try googling 33g long aquariums, an american size but can give you a good idea of 120x30x30.
Depends how much space you have but you are definitely looking at a custom job here in the UK, have a whip round your LFSs to see if they build and if they have any examples to look at.
Practicality wise, from what I have heard, long thin tanks can have flow difficulties but you will have to see if anyone else has some concrete advice on that.

That tank in the topic you link to is a standard size build from Mr. Aqua - 12 gallon long.. Looked into it when t first came out. If i remember correctly it is 120x20x20 cm and not cheap, it's USA build i believe.. . :)

12g long:
Glass thickness: 8mm
Dimensions: 35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4" (90x21x24h approx.)
Total Volume: 12 US Gallons

But if you have a spare 8ft...

240x30x30cm :3

Edited to actually try and answer the OP rather than gush over tank dimensions...

Last edited:
The tank you originally linked to is the same dimensions as the mr aqua 12g (90cmx21cmx24cm), but a different brand (fire aqua) I am in Australia and the bookshelf tank was just of the shelf at a speciality aquarium store - aquarium gallery Perth.

They dont seem to stock the exact same size anymore, but this 1500mm long tank would be bomb, they have it set up in store and it is really cool to look at.
https://www.aquariumgallery.com.au/...qua-book-shelf-aquarium-1500-x-210-x-240-x-10

I would look at the ADA90f, the extra depth would come in handy, scaping a tank with only 20cm depth is tricky!

Last edited:
I am thinking to go 30x30 to give me a little more room. Clearseal do do a 36" and 48" x12"x12" but they look fugly.

Will check out custom tanks. There is room for 120cm but I think a 90cm might be a better bet for flow

Need to identify costs first before submitting the plan for approval :)

I know a custom tank builder up here in Scotland that will do the Mr aqua dimensions opti white for around £60 I believe, I know because I asked for a quote recently on the Mr aqua 12 dimensions. If you want more info just ask :)

Back