• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Loner fish

jameson_uk

Just looking for ideas for any fish that meet the following criteria
  • Reasonable size (~5cm+)
  • Happy on their own
  • Won't eat / bother / be bothered by existing occupants (black Neon tetras, dwarf neon rainbows, Sterbai Cory, otos, amano shrimp)
  • Mid / top layer dweller

Tank is 180l and reasonably planted kept ~ 25.5C. Water is reasonably hard (12 dKH) and pH ~7.7.

I had a dwarf gourami which filled all the criteria but died of iridovirus and it looks like getting a strong specimen is the exception of the rule.

Just looking for what fish might meet these criteria.

Last edited:
Maybe a female betta?

Pearl Gourami and Honey gourami are said not to be prone to Iridovirus like Colisa Ialia (dwarf gourami)

Maybe a female betta?
Interesting, had not thought of that... is a single female OK for a community tank?

Pearl Gourami and Honey gourami are said not to be prone to Iridovirus like Colisa Ialia (dwarf gourami)
Indeed, it is looking like Gouramis are one of the main options...
I was slightly put off from Pearl or Blue Spot Gourami as there is the possibility they may turn into bullies.
I was put off from the Honey Gourami by some articles suggesting they need to be kept in groups.

The only other fish I can see which might work is an Angelfish but these are even more likely to become bullies and also eat my Amanos!

Just wondering if there is anything else I have might have missed.

Back