• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Lockdown wildlife pond

Proof of life.

Attachments

• 20200915_130918.jpg
    20200915_130918.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 317
  • 20200915_130138.jpg
    20200915_130138.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 320
Hi all,
do quite like the swamp look if im honest
That was what I wanted. I'd guess that this was peak pond (2012) in terms of biodiversity.

pond_view_june2012b-jpg.jpg

But succession didn't stop there and by 2018 it was just solid plants (mainly Equisetum fluviatile & Eleocharis palustris) with no visible water. I was in New Zealand during the 2018 summer <"and it dried right out">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
But succession didn't stop there and by 2018 it was just solid plants (mainly Equisetum fluviatile & Eleocharis palustris) with no visible water.
I've just found a photo from 2015.

front_garden_view1June2015.jpg

The pond is front centre & right of the picture, but all the open water had already gone.

cheers Darrel

In pond shops they sell styrofoam floating domes/things to create a hole that doesn't freeze to prevent the dreaded lack of gas exchange Tim refers to. :)

But since it styrofoam, you can make it DIY... it actually only is a floating piece with a hole in it and this hole is covered losely with an other piece of styrofoam. Not air/gas tight but secure enough it doesn't blow off. The air area in the covered hole remains warm enough due to the styrofoam insulation properties not to freeze the water surface bellow the cover. :)

These things are designed to prevent people from breaking the ice with smashing a hammer to it. This can/will cause shockwaves in the water that can be fatal to wildlife.

Back