• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Loaches + shrimp

sWozzAres

Will clown loaches eat shrimp?

Since their favourite food is, apparently brine shrimp then I am suspecting the answer is yes but if this is the case, do they eat all types of shrimp?

Yes they do. And clown loach get big, so even the adult shrimp will be fair game.

If your tank is planted enough and a decent size you should still be able to keep a good colony in there though.

Ive not tried this with shrimp and to be honest expensive experiment unless you breed your own shrimp!

Its been said you cannot keep snails with loaches but i have now been keeping Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki (Dwarf Chain Loach) with a few Neritina natalensis sp (Zebra Nerite Snail) with no problems i wouldn't try this with clowns tho they will see them as dinner instantly. as for keeping shrimp with clowns i would advise against it.

How about dwarf chain loach ? I hear they eat small snails too. And they stay small unlike clown loach. I love these little guys.

Just for future reference, I can confirm that it will take 2 days for 3 medium size clown loaches to find and eat 10 amano shrimp in a fully planted 350l aquarium :shifty:

Hi, sorry for going slightly off topic, but im considering getting some zebra loaches to eat my snails (which are eating some of my plants). I have amano shrimp and a couple of bee shrimp..... whats the concensus on these loaches dining on shrimp?
Cheers,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Hi, sorry for going slightly off topic, but im considering getting some zebra loaches to eat my snails (which are eating some of my plants). I have amano shrimp and a couple of bee shrimp..... whats the concensus on these loaches dining on shrimp?
Cheers,
Ady.

I reckon they would scoff them mate.

sWozzAres said:
Just for future reference, I can confirm that it will take 2 days for 3 medium size clown loaches to find and eat 10 amano shrimp in a fully planted 350l aquarium :shifty:

Oops, that was an expensive dinner !

any type of loach will eat pretty much any type of cuc. think the only real exception if the "hillstream loach" which is actually a type of plec not loach :)

hinch said:
any type of loach will eat pretty much any type of cuc. think the only real exception if the "hillstream loach" which is actually a type of plec not loach :)

I have often wondered why they are even called loaches. They sure as hell don't look like them, lol.

hinch said:

I understood that them being a plec is a mis-conception as they are actually in the Balitoridae family and not a sucker mouth catfish like plecs are.

I have one in my tank left over from a coldwater tank. They are very amusing to watch.

true but I believe the concensus is that they're closer to a plec than a loach they're abit of an odd one evolved to live in a very specific environment just the loach name is a little misleading

I would say physiologically and behaviourally that I would agree with that but its all down to the sucker mouth vs the modified ventral fin sucker. They definitely have more ressemblance to the Loricariids than the Botidae.

Andy

Back