• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Livebearers

Mattant1984

Why is it that you don't seem to see that many planted tanks with livebearers, Always see a lot of tetras, rasboras etc.

Is it because of the high rate of reproduction and ending up with too many babies??

Pretty much, some can be a little too colourful which can detract from the plants. Some are just not shoaling, some are very rare, some eat plants, some eat everything.

I adore Limia, pretty much my first tropical fish.

I know it doesn't apply to everyone's thinking but people tend to want soft water for their plants and most livebearers do best in hard water. Some people have rock hard water but still don't keep livebearers. I think they have the somewhat unfair reputation of being beginners fish so are overlooked.

I know it doesn't apply to everyone's thinking but people tend to want soft water for their plants and most livebearers do best in hard water. Some people have rock hard water but still don't keep livebearers. I think they have the somewhat unfair reputation of being beginners fish so are overlooked.
That is somewhat the reason for me asking actually, I have pretty hard water where I live and swordtails we're one of the fist fish I kept about 18 years ago. Would love to try them again

Pretty much, some can be a little too colourful which can detract from the plants. Some are just not shoaling, some are very rare, some eat plants, some eat everything.

I adore Limia, pretty much my first tropical fish.
Never kept Limia before but am familiar with them. I've been thinking about the possibility of swordtails

Live-bearers in Biotopes usually have their original wild species like green colouration or dull yellow. Plus the habitat s were originally central America but now thrive worldwide. For aquascapers like to think the colours have to bevalid for those moss wooded creations would be similar in ex. South America or Africa for shoals of tetras .In reality of course a few many live in tanning rich water with little vegitation. As said example bright colored platys would distract from the scape. as said by @ castle

I think the mass production of livebearers has created a fish that also tends to be bold and outgoing, to a point they are in your face and begging for food. That behaviour can be very distracting in a natural aquascape but fun for those that just want a pet.

I think size is probably a big factor - most pick smaller fish either because they want a lot of small fish as they can then accommodate a bigger shoal or because tank size is limited. Platties/swords and female guppies are relatively big fish compared to some of the rasbora/tetra options usually picked. Male endlers are smaller and you do see those occasionally. Also, as most people don't then have bigger fish that would do population control you are limited to all males.

They’re also more co2 sensitive in my experience. Endlers especially I struggled to keep “normal” co2 levels without them showing stress. I suspect in large part being because they’re so active.

Hi all,
Why is it that you don't seem to see that many planted tanks with livebearers
I don't know, I think they are a bit like Killifish and have just gone out of fashion.

A really good set up for them is just with lots of Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) and a floating plant, a mix of Riccia fluitans and Lemna minor works well.

There are more select livebearers (like <"Xiphophorus montezumae">), although I'd guess most aren't <"commercially available">. Years ago you used to be get fish like the "Merry Widow" (Phallichthys amates) and "Butterfly Goodeid" (Ameca splendens) relatively easily.

cheers Darrel

There are more select livebearers (like <"Xiphophorus montezumae">), although I'd guess most aren't <"commercially available">. Years ago you used to be get fish like the "Merry Widow" (Phallichthys amates) and "Butterfly Goodeid" (Ameca splendens) relatively easily.
Someone in the BLA meeting at the "Fish Extravaganza" this weekend was looking out for Merry Widow livebearers and said he has not seen them for a long time. There were plenty of wildtype livebearers at the auction.

Why is it that you don't seem to see that many planted tanks with livebearers
I’ll just leave this here 😀

2acecd7e-2278-4bae-b719-3aa82edcb756-jpeg.jpg

Back