• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Little underwater garden.

Jimmy Dale

Hello all, This is my first non question post - I certainly haven't had the answers to any! This is my first successful planted tank, I've had a few before but not really what you'd call high tech. It's still a work in progress and there is a little bald spot to the left which I think I will fill with a little stand of Pogostemon helferi quite soon. I've got the 'making of' pictures which I will put into a Journal later. All comments welcome.

6nWjXDw.jpg

It looks good, nicely laid out. Plant selection is top

Incidentally - is anyone else using one of these surface skimming glass / acrylic inlets? I'm really happy with mine (unfortunately though I have just noticed that it is covered in yesterday's trimming remnants in the photo - oops)

Oh and I will be changing the somewhat distracting little red O ring for a black one when I do my next water change.

Tank looks great!

Where did you find a glass intake with a surface skimmer?

Hi Justin, it was from ebay NAG 12/16 Glass inflow Surface skimmer | eBay for 'fake' glassware, the glass is actually very sturdy. Seems to be made of thicker stuff than some of the cheap glass lillies I've had in the past. I totally rate it, it's nicer than having the eheim skim 350 in the tank. I'm sure even the best tanks get an occasional surface film even with perfect co2 distribution and dosing.

Really nice! Love the mix of plant texture/colour at the front edging the sand:cool:

Now for a dimwit learner question to show my noobishness:rolleyes: : What is the architectural moss(?) that grows in an almost snowflake form along the front?

Oh and nice pipes! (that doesn't sound right :D)

What is the architectural moss(?) that grows in an almost snowflake form along the front?

Hi James, the pant at the front is Riccia fluitans. It's a really nice easy one to grow. It needs to be tied down onto a stone or wood with net and fishing line but it grows through it very quickly. You can usually find portions of it for sale on ebay or for swaps in my Aquarium Plant Exchange group :)

Thanks jimmy

I'm trying to get hold of some. I'll try as a floater and submerged

Seems to like It likes CO2 so maybe the floating version will take best

James, ricca loves co2, when it grow it grows man! When cutting it goes everywhere so suggest using Airtube to suck up cutting as you trim as george has demonstrated, I planted ricca in a scape many moons removed but still have cuttings that spread very quickly.

Awesome scape man! What type of rocks are these? And is that riccia attached to rocks at the front?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Thanks Luke, I'm not 100% sure what they're called but they're becoming available in most places. My local shop sells is for a reasonable price of about £3 / kg. Yeah that's riccia at the front.

The riccia and the sand together look great!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Back