• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Little brown worms on top of rocks in pond

Tirral

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know what these little brown worms are. They are about 5-10mm long and are crawling on a rock that just protrudes out of the water so remains damp.

Thanks
6a79c65c19b36a14a310978f4156a354.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I have seen them too in my Daphnia tubs, it's some kinda fly maggot I guess... I was never able to ID them...

Hi all, Yes they are Midge larvae.

cheers Darrel
They aren't the mosquito larvae as I know them. These just sit on the rocks still bearly moving unlike the larvae that squiggle across the water.

Thanks

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi all,
They aren't the mosquito larvae as I know them. These just sit on the rocks still bearly moving unlike the larvae that squiggle across the water.
Yes, there are loads of "Midge" larvae that aren't the <"Mosquito larvae"> that we are familiar with.

Even people who survey freshwater invertebrates often lump the fly (Diptera) larvae into fairly broad categories, because they aren't easy to get a definitive ID on.

You get Biting midges (<"Ceratopogonidae>"), which have very small, "squiggly" larvae, Non-Biting Midges (<"Chironomidae">) the larvae of which are "Bloodworms", Glassworms (<"Chaoboridae">), Black-Flies (<"Simuliidae">) which attach to rocks in running water etc.

Have a look at <"Key to the larval stages of aquatic true flies (Diptera), ......">, it has a lot of drawings that might allow you to identify the right area.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back