• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Liquid Carbon???

Crusader58

Am I mistaken in thinking that carbon can only exist as a liquid if subjected to high pressure and with some forms high temperatures ? Or have they found a way to chemically trap the carbon within a liquid?
Are the likes of Seachem Excel and Easy Carbo actually liquid carbon, or are they merely biocides marketed under a nice friendly name?
Could someone with a better understanding of chemistry than myself, please enlighten me.

Liquid carbon dioxide only exists as a liquid at room temperature at 55bar pressure, which is why it is kept in pressure cylinders.

We inject CO2 gas into the water.

The liquid carbon you are seeing, Excel, Easycarbo etc is variations on gluteraldehyde. Gluteraldehyde, as well as being a biocide, handy for algae removal, can also be taken up by plants as a carbon source. Gluteraldehyde will also melt some species of plants.

Gaseous CO2 is generally more effective (& cheaper) for plant growth than gluteradehyde based solutions.

So in other words, gluteraldehyde is not liquid carbon....so its just a marketing ploy as I suspected.

So in other words, gluteraldehyde is not liquid carbon....so its just a marketing ploy as I suspected.
There is definitely nuance to this. It is certainly easier for a newbie to understand liquid carbon than glut. I think it's a good marketing name. Rare for me to say this. :)

Everything is toxic is certain doses. So is glut.

Back