• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Limnophilia sessiliflora melting

Ajm200

Hi.

Just wondering if this is a difficult plant to grow. Got it as part of a bargain plant pack when I set my tank up last week and it seemed fairly healthy but I just accidently uprooted some and it dissolved into mush when I lifted it out of the water. Just wondering what i'm doing wrong. Also have a couple of crypts that have melted but understand that's normal.

Here's my setup

550l tank
2 x fluval 405
4 x t5 54w (2 on 8hrs, other 2 on for middle 4 hrs)
Pressurised CO2 on 1hr before lights on. Off 1 hr before lights out. Drop checkers light lime green even at substrate level. Did dose 10ml Easycarbo for first 2 days until drop checkers were registering enough CO2.
Temp 26
PH 7.6
dosing TPN+ started at 5ml/day last week now dosing 7.5ml per day increasing to 10ml next week.
No fish, just plants

Ajm200 said:
Also have a couple of crypts that have melted but understand that's normal.

Not when introducing them to a tank with good CO2. Whilst I haven`t used Crypts extensively, I have shifted a few from tank to propogator and back to tank without any melting.

Gently ease your CO2 up over the next day or two and push the dropper closer to yellow. Keep an eye on your fish, and possibly think about more surface disturbance for increased O2 exchange as well.

Dave.

Thanks. I'll push the co2 up a bit more. Have the checkers at lime green already and plants at substrate level are pearling. No fish yet so no problem. Both plants that have melted were part of a surplus plants pack so may not have been in tip top condition start.

I seem to recall discussing this tank in other thread(s), this is a big tank and there is not nearly enough flow from the two Fluval 405s so you'll continue to experience difficulties with flow/distribution until this issue is solved. You may wish to consider deleting the second set of bulbs for the short term. Instead of green being the target dropchecker colour, yellow ought to be the target. This causes a conflict when it's time to add fish, so I can see trouble on the horizon. Also, try turning the gas on an extra hour earlier.

Cheers,

I'll try and get enough cash together to get a 2200l/h filter to run alongside the fluvals. If I buy it while hubby is on his business trip maybe he won't notice ;)

Back