• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LIMNOPHILA SESSILIFLORA growing leggy!

Cfoster88

Seedling
Hi all,

Having trouble with my ambulia growing leggy. Been reading that it's due to poor light? However I have 2x 24w t5 on a 100l tank. Surely I don't need anymore!? There's a picture below. Picture also shows a bit of hair algae, which I thought was down to too much light!!! So I've just lowered that to 7hours per day.

Looking to see if anyone could advise? Cheers!
d8b8f30ccc683a65da3321cf1e9d5b44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It needs intense light to grow bushy, and co2 will certainly help it to grow bushy.

Michel.

I have this plants in many type of aquariums, both low light, low tech to high tech, high light. In a low to medium light non co2 tank the plant grows very healthy and bushy. In a high tech tank with good lighting the internodes will grow far apart and looks leggy.
The behavior is opposite of many or even most of aquatic plants.

I have this plants in many type of aquariums, both low light, low tech to high tech, high light. In a low to medium light non co2 tank the plant grows very healthy and bushy. In a high tech tank with good lighting the internodes will grow far apart and looks leggy.
The behavior is opposite of many or even most of aquatic plants.

Thus makes sense because when looking into cambomba - I read 'limnophila sessiliflora' suggested as an alternative as it needs less lighting.

I have the same problem with this plant.In low tech it seems to grow nice and bushy.But once in high tech,high light,high co2,high flow.It grows leggy like this and dont look as nice.Thinking of repacing it with some thing else to be honest.

Looking nice/not so nice is subjective.........
Fact is, as correctly stated, that Lim. sess. react to high light and added CO2 by stretching, growing longer internodes ( =distance between leaves).
Lim. sess. is a very good alternative to the wellknown Cabomba carolineana, since it can thrive at quite low light levels.

This just seems to be a plant that goes against the grain IMHO.
Loved the look of it in a low tech environment. But put it in a high tech environment and I don't find it looks as attractive.
The reverse is the case with nearly all the plants I've tried so far.

This is mine in a lowish tech (soon to be) shrimp tank
dda146f9ad615c4786c452d7e25c2d75.jpg

You can see the lower internode difference between the plant as I had it from the store and the week it has been planted. I have added a tiny bit of liquid macro (Tropica special ferts), liquid micro (Flourish) and liquid carbon (Excel). I have done a couple of 50% water changes over the week too. Light is a 7W LED on for 8 hours a day.

So are we saying I should cut down on ferts and liquid carbon to keep it more condense?

How should I trim to make it bushier (small words please as I am renowned for ruining plants...)

Not sure on the etiquette of reviving an old thread but I’m having similar results in a low-tech tank with lights only on for 6 hours. The internode distance is a couple of inches and many are producing roots. Is there a trimming regime that will produce a bushier look?

Cheers

Alan

Back