• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lilaeopsis novea-zealandia should I prune before planting?

Greengeek

I’ve just received some healthy bushy and VERY tall lilaeopsis novea-zealandia, guessing its grown emersed?

Should I prepare them for planting by removing the rockwool, separating out into smaller sections and trim the top growth back and if so how far? I worried about die back as I have about 12 pots of it and want a shirt lush carpet.

I’m growing them in a 3x2x2 300l tank CO2 injected with 2 x100w PopBloom LEDS, 5000 lumen. With PAR value 300@25C. Hoping to keep it quite short.

8A400BFF-390A-4E8C-8EC9-8BBC25F21AD4.png

Personally, I'd just separate them from the rockwool and divide them up in to smaller sections, I wouldn't trim them. They should soon begin to sprout new emersed leaves and send out new runners.

I wouldn’t trim them either. Definitely don’t trim the roots. I used to trim the roots of emersed plants I bought, under the assumption it promotes growth. I was wrong. I watched a great video from a gentleman who grows and sells emersed plants. He gave a very detailed explanation of why you should not trim the plant or roots. According to him this is where the plant stored all it’s nutrients. When the plants are transitioning this makes a big difference. Since then I followed his advice. I typically now have almost no melt.

I wouldn’t trim them either. Definitely don’t trim the roots. I used to trim the roots of emersed plants I bought, under the assumption it promotes growth. I was wrong. I watched a great video from a gentleman who grows and sells emersed plants. He gave a very detailed explanation of why you should not trim the plant or roots. According to him this is where the plant stored all it’s nutrients. When the plants are transitioning this makes a big difference. Since then I followed his advice. I typically now have almost no melt.

Makes a lot of sense that way.. I always trim my roots but now I'm going to leave them next time I have to plant. Leaves I allways let be only the damaged leaves is what I got rid off.

How long do people wait until the first trim? My lilaeopsis novae zelandiae has just hit 14 days. It's currently too tall so I want to cut it back to substrate.

Back