• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Upgrade Question

Toadeh

Morning All,

Its been a while since I came on here. Anyway, the tank got a little overgrown and went horrid so its being stripped down to sort out.

One thing I want to change is the lighting. Currently I have a twin t8 unit sat over the tank. I want to go LED this time round. So, the plan is to get 2 LED strips and replace the innards of the over tank unit with the LED units.

Many years ago, TMC were just coming out when I looked at this, my question is are there any better options then going for the TMC Grobeam 500's?

Tank is a 60x30x35 cm and it has Co2 as well.

Ta all

Hi
I enquired about their Grobeams as well. They reported back to me that 1 Grobeam gives the light output of a 30W T8 bulb. So I have decided to stick with my T5s

MIKE

Yeah, I looked at those. I would need to look into the angles it beams at as I don't really want to hang it above the tank (currently it rests on the tank).

Another option is the AquaFX but I can't find many people talking about them, which makes me think they are not that good.

I am interested to know what people think of the grobeams too. I heard they aren't good at penetrating depth, but I love the rippled lighting effect they produce. I am also considering replacing current T8s, or maybe converting to a T8/LED combination?

There in anyway. I bought 2 grobeam 500's and replaced the t8's last night. Very bright indeed. The fish weren't too happy but have calmed down now. Will see what they do in the future as to plan growth.

Yes, let us know how you get on with them! what sort of distance is between the light unit and the water surface?

I would say they are doing a little better than the t8's, but hard to tell yet. I'm re-doing the tank at the moment so will know more over the next few weeks.

They are about 10cm from the water ish.

a TMC 500 growbeam provides around the same PAR as a 24w T5 bulb.

I use them and they are great!

Back