• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Upgrade: Finnex Planted+ to Chihiros WRGB II?

ArxFanatic

Hi all.

I posted this on the PlantedTank forums, but thought I might post it here as well, in case anyone has any thoughts:
I have a 81x36x45cm planted tank - non-CO2, but might consider in the future.
I’ve been using the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 light for just under a year and I’m “generally” happy with it, but I’ve been thinking of upgrading it to a light which would really make the colours pop and fill in the dark spots at the back and sides. I’m not too fond of the remote either.

I’ve been eyeing the Chihiros WRGB II (beautiful colours online + bluetooth app is very handy), but the only size I could use for my tank is the 60cm. Would you say this would work even though it doesn’t cover the full length?

This is the Finnex running at ‘max’ mode:

img_3491-jpeg.jpg

Hi all,

It would work, but needed to be hung higher. As far as I'm aware, Chihiros has a lamp for an 80cm long tank. Can't remember which model exactly, was it WRGB2 or WRGB2 pro.

Regards.

Hi all,

It would work, but needed to be hung higher. As far as I'm aware, Chihiros has a lamp for an 80cm long tank. Can't remember which model exactly, was it WRGB2 or WRGB2 pro.

Regards.
Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to hang the light higher - I have decided to go for the WRGB2 Pro 80cm (although my wallet does not like it very much).

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to hang the light higher - I have decided to go for the WRGB2 Pro 80cm (although my wallet does not like it very much).
I don't blame you. Another option would be Chihiros A801, but it's got "only" white led diodes, or if you will be lucky to find, Chihiros A801 Plus which is stronger, but still "only" white diodes.

Regards.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying.

Never mind.. missed the 80cm part above.

Go for the Chihiros B-60. Its budget friendly and has mostly white LEDs with a few RGB Leds in the mix to improve CRI. You can set a timer on the app or control the dimming but not adjust the individual colours

Another option is the Micmol Master. Similar specs as the WRGB Pro but about 20% cheaper, higher total output, separate W, R, G and B LEDs for better control and comes with built in shades and a hanging kit + regular on tank bracket, you would only neet something to hang it from. It should cover your tank well except maybe the upper part of the sides. Im using it on a 75cm tank.
The App is pretty good in terms of control except some slight, weird synchronisation of the timer and ramp up and down.

Thanks for replying.

It's a great light to be honest, if you haven't already I'd recommended the reflectors (and maybe the WiFi Hub).

Don't let your eyes adjustment to the brightness deceive you, it's a powerful light!

As you can't hang it I've also found these helpful, I use them on two tanks for different lights.

driamor Aquarium Light Holder Length Adjustable Stand for Aquarium Light Hanging Kit Lamp Clear Acrylic Fish Tank LED Light Holder Bracket Support 4.5*5.5in https://amzn.eu/d/bOoisVO

Back