• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting times

Cris_thorn

With most people seemingly running their lighting for 7 to 8 hours per day I wondered when do people think it is best to do this. I.e what time of day.
With regard to a tank placed in a room with a certain amount of natural day light would it be preferable/more beneficial to run your lighting during the hours of darkness or it it just down to personal preference. 🌞 🌙

So im a little bit different. I run my lights for 11hrs. This is due to the fact mine have a sunrise and sunset function so they aren't always running at 100%. Mine come on at 0730 in the morning and turn off at 1830 at night. Its alot longer then most people would run them.

The time you turn it on though is up to you I would think providing they aren't in full sun during the day. Natural light shouldn't make much difference as long as its not lighting the tank up.

Cheers for the replies. I take from this that taking in differing factors, light strength, natural light, tank positioning, number off plants etc. Then over time just tweeking light times until I find what suits my set up is best way forward. I haven't even got a tank set up yet. Just got my first tank which is a nano to get me going, so trying to gain as much info as possible first. Hardscape, plants, and substrate getting purchased tomorrow so hopefully setting it up tomorrow afternoon. 👍

Cheers for the replies. I take from this that taking in differing factors, light strength, natural light, tank positioning, number off plants etc. Then over time just tweeking light times until I find what suits my set up is best way forward. I haven't even got a tank set up yet. Just got my first tank which is a nano to get me going, so trying to gain as much info as possible first. Hardscape, plants, and substrate getting purchased tomorrow so hopefully setting it up tomorrow afternoon. 👍
For a new tank I would stick to 7hrs max. Until you get out of the diatoms stages. It'll help with the initial algae out break.

Its completely normal for a newly setup planted tank to be covered in diatoms but while the tank matures which can take a couple of months I'd stick to 7hrs max lighting period. Less is fine too but I wouldn't go below 6hrs personally because the plants may start to suffer. Others may have a difference in opinion but its what has worked for me in the past. 😁

For a new tank I would stick to 7hrs max. Until you get out of the diatoms stages. It'll help with the initial algae out break.

Its completely normal for a newly setup planted tank to be covered in diatoms but while the tank matures which can take a couple of months I'd stick to 7hrs max lighting period. Less is fine too but I wouldn't go below 6hrs personally because the plants may start to suffer. Others may have a difference in opinion but its what has worked for me in the past.
Cheers Craig. Will set a timer and see how it goes. 👍

Back