• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting time requirements

Danny

Ok, so this is my set up;

light: x4 54w T5HO 6500k approx 8" above the surface of the water and approx 33" above the substrate ( fairly good reflectors )
tank: 120x60x76

what would you say would be the optimum amount of time to have the lights on? Currently on 12hrs but would 6-8 be better/ok?

plants currently are/or very soon to be:

Phyllanthus Fluitans ( now )
Aponogeton Natans ( now )
Vallisneria gigantea var. rubra ( now )
nymphaea Rubra ( coming )
Anubias nana var. 'Petite' ( coming )
Glossostigma Elatinoides ( coming )

Cheers :thumbup:

That is a lot of light mate, can you run 2 tubes till everything grows in a bit? And you get all levels worked out?

Mistakes when trying to match co2 to very high lighting would have drastic consequences to livestock :eek:

Or an algae outbreak ha! Light unit looks amazing though. Cant you run it on 50%?

Whitey89 said:
That is a lot of light mate, can you run 2 tubes till everything grows in a bit? And you get all levels worked out?

Mistakes when trying to match co2 to very high lighting would have drastic consequences to livestock :eek:

Or an algae outbreak ha! Light unit looks amazing though. Cant you run it on 50%?

LOL it was that last post that prompted this question, Yeah it is two double units so can run 2 or 4 bulbs........Not sure I will be using Co2 as with the sump and high light it will take a shed load to get the level up but am thinking about it.

12 hours is crazy talk at that level, cut that in half and maybe even reduce the number of tubes

darren636 said:
12 hours is crazy talk at that level, cut that in half and maybe even reduce the number of tubes

My Aponogeton Natans love it lol one of the bulbs has grown 4 sprouts each 3-4" in 48hrs lol

With the depth of the tank I didn't think it would be that much in terms of par by the time it reached the plants as the light is so far from the substrate.........

If you have high light, you almost must have co2. If not algae.
Plants like anubias, dont like high light, in natures they live in shadows.
If you want glossstigma to grow, you will need co2...

If this is an younf aquarium you can try at the begining 6 hours of light per day and than every week you can put 0.5 hour of light more...

Back