• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting options for DD Aqua pro Freshwater 900

gunny bedford

Hi

I’ve stripped down my Aqua pro 900 tanks to decorate and do various things in the living room, so contemplating its set up when the work is done, I really would like to grow a good carpet on the bottom, but not sure re lighting options?

I was using the eaLED tubes that came with it (2 natural sun at 16W each) however not that impressed, and they never seemed to last that long for LEDs, and now can’t seem to find anywhere that sell them, discontinued? so looking for replacement.

The tanks are quite deep at 70cm, 90cm long and 50cm wide, volume around 227 empty. So, I’m guessing the lights would have to be quite powerful for that depth of tank and be able to grow a good low carpet? Ive looked at a few options Aqua Blade, Fluval Aquasky - the Fluval Plant 3.0 won’t fit my tanks at 90cm unfortunately, but not sure if they would be bright enough and would one be Ok or would i need 2? I'm drawn to the 25w aquasky as that would fit over my tank would one be OK to grow a carpet in my tank ?

Also thinking of the much cheaper flood light option, but not sure how to mount them over the tank, don’t think i could get some form of floating shelf that would be wide enough to place them in the middle of tank, anyone know of any good brackets or frames that would do the job?

thanks

I have an aquasys 230 which is similar dimensions only slightly smaller. I had a single plant 3.0 46w and it created major dark areas and didnt have the power to reach the substrate.
I now have a twinstar s iii 900 at the front and the fluval 3.0 on the back.. only with both I have managed a full carpet of baby tears

Is your tank 90cm wide? if so who did you get the fluval 30 to fit? i thought the 46w smallest size was 91cm and the 32w only goes to 85cm

28" depth, 36" long, 20" wide.. say 90gal.
A carpet is a pretty broad term. There are numerous species with various demands.
From med. to high light. Co2 or no CO2.
Generally one can "get away" with less light if CO2 supplementation is provided.
Anyways a fun primer:

Now back to your issue..deepish and a tad wider than err"normal" (or smaller in the 24" group).
Starting with the width, usually 2 "bar lights" are needed. Chihiros is wide enough though.

I've sort of taken a "shine" :) to Micmole lights on a spec. basis.
Aqua air 90 PRO in particular.

$339.99

Planted
84pcs White CH 1
28pcs Blue CH 2
56pcs Green CH 3
56pcs Red CH 4

112Watts

To confuse matters there is the G3series.
Bit lower power ( a few watts) and cheaper.
I'll leave it up to you to sort it all out..

No I don't benefit in any way by you buying them.
2 AI Prime Freshwaters at at least $230US each is another choice.

Is your tank 90cm wide? if so who did you get the fluval 30 to fit? i thought the 46w smallest size was 91cm and the 32w only goes to 85cm
Yes its 90cm and 12mm glass, I was worried about it not fitting before getting it, but I had to slightly extend the legs to fit it on. The 46w will work for you for sure! I know some of the lights with the fixed acrylic stands can be a bit dodgy on the rims.. hence again why I got the twinstar will metal adjustable legs.. fit much better and won't get knocked off easily.

Yes its 90cm and 12mm glass, I was worried about it not fitting before getting it, but I had to slightly extend the legs to fit it on. The 46w will work for you for sure!
Hmmm how?

Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Planted Aquarium Lighting, 46 Watts, 36-46 Inches​

91-117cm
So ??????

Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Planted Aquarium Lighting, 32 Watts, 24-34 Inches​

Last edited:
The light sits on the rim of the tank, the 1cm difference is for the legs to drop over the edge. Pics to explain better.
20230227_223637.jpg
20230227_223557.jpg

Attachments

• 20230227_223605.jpg
    20230227_223605.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 60
The light sits on the rim of the tank, the 1cm difference is for the legs to drop over the edge. Pics to explain better.
I got that.
What I did, I believe, is used the wrong length somehow.
Not exactly sure which length or how though.

Back