• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting multiple propagators at once.

chinwag

OK apologies for what started out as a small question, turned into an essay.

Just curious how you approach lighting when you have multiple propagators? I've been reading about watts per litre, getting very confused about 'high and bright' lighting for java moss etc. - does that just mean as bright as possible but way above the tank, or is there a guideline for bright in terms of watts per litre?

I have four or 5 propagators and several jars containing duckweed, java moss, tiger lotus, micranthemum and some other bits - they're all under the same lighting but I know this won't be ideal for all of them, so I assume some things are getting too much, others not enough.

The tiger lotus seems very happy, and it had split from the bulb when I got it, bulb is also putting out shoots - in the same jar, micranthemum is growing upwards rather than along, so I'm assuming not enough light?

Should I be splitting my plants into groups with similar requirements, lighting them that like?

Thanks.

Hi
Can't comment about the java moss but everything else U can blast it with as much light as U have for good 12-16 hours per day.The propagators are different from the aquariums as plants have access to atmospheric CO2.Thats arround 400ppm so plenty.Just make sure the light source doesn't generate too much heat.
Regards Konsa

Thanks @Konsa I've added some more light so I'll see how I go.

@Edvet - I tried to get pics, but it just looked like a mass of jars and propagators with half dead plants in! lol.

I'll try and get some decent photo's at the weekend tho.

Thanks.

Propagators with emersed growth in soil I have on the window sill. Actually I have some dwarf hairgrass in the greenhouse outside I should probably bring in, not sure if it will like winter?

I'm guessing jars of water might get algae in sunlight? Anyone grow those on window sills?

I used to have a Chihiros A601 on top of 2 propagators. whatever plants needed more light were planted right bellow the light, the ones that needed less light (like Java Fern & mosses) were planted near the edges of the propagators.

@tam - I've seen a lot of people doing well with window still growth, even here in the UK.

@kadoxu - Thanks, I'll take a look at those, I've seen them mentioned elsewhere on here too.

@Edvet - at last I have photo's...please excuse my very amateur setup, I've just kind of thrown stuff in to try and keep it alive while I try and work out everything's requirements and find a decent place to grow stuff in our tiny flat!

props.jpg

I'm trying to grow;

Micranthemum Monte Carlo - I wanted to get started with a carpet plant, just moved this to drier substrate after posting about it dying.

Java Moss - In jars, on mesh, on wood, I crave moss, everywhere.

Christmas Moss - on wood, on hygrolon.

Tiger Lotus - Love this, it arrived split from the bulb but it's doing OK, and the bulb is putting out shoots so I'm well happy.

Glossostigma Elatinoides - sort of doing OK, small clumps looking very green but very slow growing.

Cryptocoryne Parva - Very happy until I repotted in drier substrate, now yellowing a bit but they did that when I first planted them, so I think this is part of them adapting to change?

Hygrophila Corymbosa Thailand - After some initialy blackening, these looked really lush, recently seem to be dying though. These are mainly emersed in jars that are really too small for it's leaves.

Alternanthera Reineckii - these were doing really well until I moved them to drier substrate, now they're very unhappy. They seem to really like it soaking so not sure if they'll come back now.

Bolbitus Heudelotii - in the tub at the back, attached to some wood, pretty much submerged but getting way less light as I read they like shade, TBH I think prob not enough light at the moment.

And off course lots of duckweed and some frogbit - thanks @tayloss!

Lighting is from two lamps, currently about 1-2 feet away, LED bulbs, 6000/6500k, 9W/13W, and I think a 7W LED over the hygrolon.

I have just got a sankey heated propagator today, so that has the micranthemum, moss mesh and some other bits in.

Attachments

• jar1.jpg
    jar1.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 69
  • jars.jpg
    jars.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 77
  • lotus.jpg
    lotus.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 79
  • misc.jpg
    misc.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 79
  • moss.jpg
    moss.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 77
  • prop1.jpg
    prop1.jpg
    914.9 KB · Views: 75
  • prop2.jpg
    prop2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
Your are welcome and glad its getting a new home rather than being thrown away! Let me know how you get on with it as its a great plant... I've removed most of the duckweed as it does my head in being cycled through the filter!.. Great if you have a dedicated tank or pot for it tho..

Back