• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting for tank with lid

Richard40

So I’m contemplating getting a tank with a lid. I’m setting up an African Congo biotope. The plan is to use floating mini water lettuce as most of the fish require it to be dim. If I bought a tank with lid the light is much closer to the water, therefore would the floating plants just burn and die off? What’s the solution?

So I’m contemplating getting a tank with a lid. I’m setting up an African Congo biotope. The plan is to use floating mini water lettuce as most of the fish require it to be dim. If I bought a tank with lid the light is much closer to the water, therefore would the floating plants just burn and die off? What’s the solution?
Suppose it depends on the light strength.
Floaters have access to atmospheric co2, and an unlimited water supply. Nutrients would be the only shortage.

Seems most would be subject to like 1500 PAR from the sun.

Think you would only have an issue if they actually touched the bulbs.
Maybe edge burn.

pisstr-Dr.-Bill-Haller.jpg

Last edited:
Unless floating plants touch the lights, there's little issue. Perhaps the droplets from evaporation could pose an issue, but that's generally not the case.

When light intensity is low-medium, Pistia grows smaller, mostly horizontal leaves. Not like the ones pictured in the post above.

Back