• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting for Moss tank

BarryH

I now have a spare 60cm tank that I'm putting Redmoor root into. I want the roots to have a light to medium covering of Weeping and Java moss. No other plants at this stage. Fish will be a small school of Cardinal Tetras.

A while ago I bought the Chihiros A60P light unit along with the Hinterfeld S2 Pro controller. Can anyone please advise on a suitable lighting time to set the controller up please?

if moss only i'd start pretty low intensity and no longer than 6 hours, very low and slow growing plant mass

Hi all,
pretty low intensity and no longer than 6 hours, very low and slow growing plant mass
You would need to treat the tank much more like a non-planted tank in terms of nitrification etc.
A while ago I bought the Chihiros A60P light unit along with the Hinterfeld S2 Pro controller.
If you didn't have any objection to a floating plant? You could use the light on a fairly high intensity and use the floating plant as your "curtain".

A floating plant isn't limited by CO2 availability, and would give you "plant/microbe" biofiltration, which is a bit more robust and resilient than "microbe only" filtration.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, You would need to treat the tank much more like a non-planted tank in terms of nitrification etc. If you didn't have any objection to a floating plant? You could use the light on a fairly high intensity and use the floating plant as your "curtain".

A floating plant isn't limited by CO2 availability, and would give you "plant/microbe" biofiltration, which is a bit more robust and resilient than "microbe only" filtration.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for the help and advice Darrel, really appreciated. No problem with the floating plants, I'd thought of Salvinia Auriculata. My main worry was setting the times for the S2 Pro controller. Six hours was mentioned but I wasn't sure if that allowed for ramp up and down times or were those tagged on in front and after the six hours.

Hi all,Perfect. I'd have six hours on full power.

cheers Darrel
Thanks again Darrel, I'll go with the six hours and maybe a couple of hours either side for the ramp up and down. The help is really appreciated.

Back