• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lighting for a 4ft tank

Joeg123

I have a waterbox 110.4 that I have converted to freshwater and now planted, realised my radion blues I had wouldn't be any good as I could only run them at 20% before blue would take over

so then I got a nicrew 48" and seemed okay but also went for the fluval 3.0 48" and I have them both running with co2

what my goal is with lighting is to have enough to support Alternanthera reineckii 'mini' on the substrate level (It's about 18" deep to substrate) enough to where its getting a decent amount of light, enough for it to show more red (I'm guessing 100 par at substrate) everything else thats growing im happy with, would just like the mini to show some better colour and growth

would 2 fluval 3.0s be enough? I could also run the nicrew skyled plus

or I've been looking at the ai prime freshwaters but mixed reviews plus would like to keep cost down if possible

you already have 1 fluval 3.0 presumably to light the front of the tank while your nicrew is lighting the back of the tank. If you buy a 2nd Fluval, I presume it will be placed to light the rear of the tank.

In which case, how would the 2nd light help your AR Mini that is sitting in the front of your tank at substrate level?

I also had this issue - My solution was therefore to buy a more expensive and brighter light for the front of the tank, while a cheaper light covers the rear of the tank- because the rear of the tank will have taller plants that are nearer the light anyway.

you already have 1 fluval 3.0 presumably to light the front of the tank while your nicrew is lighting the back of the tank. If you buy a 2nd Fluval, I presume it will be placed to light the rear of the tank.

In which case, how would the 2nd light help your AR Mini that is sitting in the front of your tank at substrate level?

I also had this issue - My solution was therefore to buy a more expensive and brighter light for the front of the tank, while a cheaper light covers the rear of the tank- because the rear of the tank will have taller plants that are nearer the light anyway.
Currently have the ar mini in the middle of the tank as all the rest of the plants are in the middle or back (had all my anubius die off due to rot) so both lights are more towards the back with the fluval furthest to the back but good point about the stem plants I'll change them around

Back