• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting for a 40cm cube.

Planted Bows

As title says I'm looking for a led light unit for my new tabk I'm looking to get done soon.

Anyone got any ideas?

I do have a chihiros aquasky on a 30cm cube, would this be enough?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I'd say that Chihiros A-Series or Aquasky LEDs are enough for almost anything! :)
My thoughts are the same tbh. I have been looking at the A series which I think would be better as I want it to be an open top tank which allows plants to grow above the water too :)

I've had a look and I belive it does have the brackets. The only thing putting me off is the light unit itself is only 27cm long but my tank is 40cm.........

This is a question I find myself pondering a lot recently guys, nice one for putting up Planted Bows.

I have the same reservations about the Chihiros RGB but had wondered about getting the 60 cm and turning the stand in reverse? Can anyone think of any reason not to? I know there would be a bit of overspill but because I'm not limited by stand even pondered the overspill for some attempt at small wabi/emmersed too, I'm nowhere near buying yet and the longer I put off the more likelihood there'll be something even more shiny to tempt me.

I'm not even a great star trek fan but there's something about all the Kessil range that makes me think of the old school enterprise which makes me want them for that but far too rich for my budget at the moment. I got 2 10w RGB aquaone units and the difference in rendition between the two is noticeable and I believe they're meant to be the same kind. What I mean is there's something about the reds. Also I'm trying a 15w 6500k cob fleabay hill-billy ikea spot at the moment but I'm not convinced by it. Its bright to the eye - to the point I reckon it was contributing to my sore head since it's the room I'm most in, but everything looks pretty healthily weird.

Good luck with your quest will be following for sure.

All the best

ETA - slaver

I have aqualighter 2 30cm on my 40cm cube without any problems and had a lot of plants growing without any issues.

If I would look for new light I would check kessil A80. Not to much info yet but from what I have see is perfect light.

Odoslané z môjho iPad cez Tapatalk

Am I right in thinking your aqualighters are 11w each Matus?

I was looking at my AquaOne units last night (10w each) and looking at the ludwigia super red mini - the tips are only just turning red approx 20 cm (8") under the lights (give or take a approx 5cms gap between glass and water). I'm wondering if folk with more knowledge experience of LED confirm that's kind of standard penetration levels - apologies par meter is not even close to my short list of wanted/needed toys.

I'm getting a bit confused about the penetration of LEDs. At first I was blown away by Cookies set up but then I realised his is the short tank think it's the F range. Now at that height there is no restriction since the lighting is already double what a standard or more usual size (35-45 ish) according to the inverse lighting rule.

Jees - I'm needing coffee and slavering already- apologies I hope you can decipher what I'm trying to ask.

Oh and and on the theme of lighting can anyone tell me if you can use different size LED units on a TC420? E.g. can I use my Aquaone 10W with say a Chihiros (not sure yet still hypothetical) but approx 30w. I understand I would need a driver to run the total wattage but worried if you have the 40w driver why it doesn't fry both the smaller wattages.

COFFEE NICOTINE and no more head mincing before 10:am

Peas and loaf

Thanks Matus,

Yeah until the lottery win and I can get my spaceship lights the Chihiros RGB does seem the most cost effective. I do wonder about how well it would perform in a normal tank though, and whether throwing extra watts is a waste of electricity if they don't cut it below 20cm.

This brings me back to Zozo's marvellous post ( https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/mr16-dc-12-volt-cob-led-spot-on-tc420.43423/ ) and doing a Heath Robinson

Back