• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light unit advice

MarkGormley

Hi, not sure if this is the best spot to post but looks like an active forum so hopefully someone can help.

I have a Fluval Roma 90.
I swapped out the bulbs for an LED AquaSky 2.0 12W.

I am still using the old centre panel as it was ridiculously expensive expensive to change it to a new piece of plastic to support the lid pieces.

The problem I have is that with the central unit in place I can either put new LED at the front or back or the tank, but doing so leaves the other half a bit dim. Currently I have light at front as it allows me to see fish best, but most my plants (a lot are new) are at the back. See photos below.

I can buy another aquasky unit for less than the cost of a new centre unit, would this be the best option? Do I really need 2 for this size of tank? Alternatively it looks like the existing centre unit may come apart with some persuasion. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Thanks

49B69DC4-442E-4B30-80CB-5E32DC68F511.jpeg

0B8A768D-7AF7-400C-B6D0-80D3D0E85E53.jpeg

05CF5D8E-EB97-44F0-821D-07A0E872376B.jpeg

I can buy another aquasky unit for less than the cost of a new centre unit, would this be the best option? Do I really need 2 for this size of tank?
Hiya @MarkGormley welcome to ukaps.

I don't have any experience regards dismantling the central light unit, but it looks like the light ballast could be removed.

Do you need 2 lights? The answer is no you don't... here comes the but... the Roma is quite a deep tank (500mm) and the light is very close to the surface, using only 1 central fixture can cause issues with getting a decent spread of light to all areas of the tank. Having 2 light units would even this out if that's the route you decide to go down, that's how I have mine in a Roma 240. Slight word of caution here, you'd probably need to run both lights at only 50~60%.

Back