• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light on as long as possible for enjoyment vs algue and plant health

Peppie71

I got a Dennerle nanocube 60 with 2x Chihiros 30 RGB fitted on top of it. At first I got the tank installed at my sleep location at work. The lighting timings were from 1500 untill 2300 incl ramp on/off. As of the end of december my work location changed to a location near my house. So I agreed with my wife that the tank was coming home. This wasn`t an easy thing because we had to buy a new closet for it and my wife wasn`t really into fishtanks.
But I noticed that she enjoys it in the end.
After the instalation I started with the same lighting timings, but my wife complained about the light that comes of the tank in the evening.
After this we agreed that the lighting can be set as high as 30% after 1900.

I got the timings changed as follows:
0800-1100 from 0 to 80% ( I started this early because my wife works a lot at home)
1100-1500 80%
1500-2000 from 80 to 10%
2000-2300 from 10 to 0%
CO2 starts at 0900 and stops at 1800.
Fertiliser (2hr Aquarist APT complete) 2ml at 0900 via a doser
I got this for 2 weeks now. I noticed a little bit of Green spot algue on the glass and some BBA at the Helanthium tennellum.

Do you have suggestions on how to program the lighting to get a compromise to be efficient for the plants and also acceptable for my wife?

Kind regards,
Dennis

Most people run there lights at full for around 6-8 hours a day (6 works for me)

So a schedule like 9-10am ramp to 80%, 11am -5pm 80% 5pm - 6pm ramp down to zero.

Remember to wait a week or so to observe changes.

Thank you for the reply. Can I extend this schedule so that I can enjoy the tank after work? From 1800 till 2230.

You could but it is going to be a tight balancing act with algae.

Can you have the lights come on later in the day?

Yes, I think at 1200 is acceptable. 10% is enough for enjoyment

Last edited:
I don't normally turn lights on before 4pm, so it's 4-10pm so I can enjoy the tank :)

Back