• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lido 200 South American tank

Simmo

Hi Folks
I’m looking for opinions and ideas for stocking my low tech Juwel Lido 200 LED. Standard 200 litre tank with bioflow M filter (50% sintered glass media) planted with Java Moss, Java Fern, Amazon swords, short sword, crypts, Anazon frogbit and water sprite.
Want to keep the stocking around 60-70% of max to give the fish some space, have been using the aqadvisor calculator to indicate stocking levels, not sure how accurate it is but probably not a bad indication?
I have some refugees from my kids tank, 1 peppered cory and 1 Sterbi (free to a good N.Scotland home) but do not want more Corys. I also have one glow tetra in the same boat. Have added 17 neons already. So my remaining ideas are
2 Apisto borelli
Hatchetfish or black widows x8
Or honey gourami (i know not S.Am)
That would seem to be enough?
Would also like x3 shrimp, Amano or similar ideally but not a must
Thanks
Dave

Crap photo, away working so only phone...

Last edited:
I’d go with hatchetfish and the pair of the apistos if I was you. Black widows can be abit boisterous and get to a fair size. Hatchets are super peaceful And stick strictly to the surface which fills a space a lot of fish won’t strictly stick to.

Thanks thats good to hear and I thought the same. I read they can’t cope well with high flow is this exagerated? The powerhead seems to pump out a fair old jet but there is a calmer area

Thanks thats good to hear and I thought the same. I read they can’t cope well with high flow is this exagerated? The powerhead seems to pump out a fair old jet but there is a calmer area
They prefer calmer water but I’m sure they’ll be fine if you have some calm spots.

I don't think you'd have any issues with flow from a juwel filter as they aren't particularly strong.

If you are going for apistogramma then they will push the neons a little higher up (generally they are lower to middle swimmers) so adding something that lives in the upper reaches will give a nice balance. I'd normally suggest pencilfish and one of the quieter species would be good but I do have a fondness for hatchet fish as long as you are prepared for their leaping potential (less of an issue with a lid and floating plants but you need to be vigilant when doing water changes, at least to begin with). Hatchets are slower surface feeders so aren't as likely to out compete the neons as a lower water shoaler would.

Thanks, I’m quite excited, as having kept most commoner community fish over the years I’ve never tried hatchetfish, I see some are smaller than others so I’ll try and pick up some wee ones in a couple of weeks. Ditto Apisto, have had a number of kribs but never these guys 👍

There are a few different hatchet species commonly available. The marbled hatchets tend to be the smallest and easiest but I think the silver species have a more impressive barrel chest (which does potentially mean they fly further).

Aquarium Glaser Hatchetfish profile page
(maybe there’s something to be said for a mixed sp group :lol: )

Aquarium Glaser Hatchetfish profile page
(maybe there’s something to be said for a mixed sp group :lol: )

Worth it to see the tiny male displaying to Superwoman 😂

There are a few different hatchet species commonly available. The marbled hatchets tend to be the smallest and easiest but I think the silver species have a more impressive barrel chest (which does potentially mean they fly further).
Yes they doo look impressive when they launch into the unknown. Have seen them travel 5/6 tanks away when removing lids and covers etc for maintenance.

Back