• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LFS Display Help!

DuncanL

Seedling
Hello plant gurus!

I work in a local fish shop, and have recently set up a TMC Signature planted tank. I run the marine section and Hi Tech planted tanks are fairly new to me.

The specs are as follows - TMC Signature 60x45x30, with V2 Powerbox 200 Filter, AquaBeam 1000HD Tile, Pressurised CO2 through ceramic diffuser on solonoid, AquaGro Nutrasoil substrate (2" at front, 4" at back)

I have been dosing a little EasyCarbo and the TMC liquid fertiliser as directed. The drop checker is showing a healthy green colour.

I have gone for an Iwagumi style aquascape, with Tropica's Hemianthus calitrichoides at the front and Echinodorus tenellus at the back. I started by doing a 50% water change ever day for the first week or so, then twice weekly. For the first 2 weeks the plants were doing great and growing like the clappers, with almost no gaps in the HC, but over the last week some brown algae has started to grow on the leaves and substrate. The growth also seems to have slowed a bit. Ive kept the filter spotless.

I've previously kept the above plants successfully with the same lighting, but I cant help feeling i'm missing something this time. Any ideas guys?
Duncan

Can you get hold of a par meter?

If so, see how much light you putting in..

What substrate are you using? Also I am not familiar with the TMC ferts, so I cannot say if it has enough nutrients or not, but I would think that maybe not.. :)

Dose EI, or something like ELOS Phase2, you need nutrients on the tank for the plants to grow, otherwise algae will take over.

Thanks guys. We have a PAR meter but it's on loan at the moment. I'll check it when we get it back.

I hadn't actually thought about increasing the gas/ferts. For example, if there is 5X as much HC as when I started, i'd need roughly 5X the ferts/gas?

Substrate is the TMC NutriSoil stuff.

Hello,
No there is not a linear relationship between mass and nutrient uptake requirement, but more plants definitely need more of everything, especially CO2. In any case more nutrition always results better growth rates and in healthier plants. There should be no limits set on the CO2 injection rate if there are no fish present. The only thing that should limit the amount of gas you inject right now should be cost of gas refill.

Cheers,

Thanks mate. It now looks a bit fizzier.

Not testing water is a new concept to me and hard for me to get my head around!

I'll let you know how it gets on,
Duncan

im not convinced tmc nutrafeed (fert) is that good, im having very little results with it and seeing lots of potassium deficiencies in some plants. I would switch to EI if i were you

im not convinced tmc nutrafeed (fert) is that good, im having very little results with it and seeing lots of potassium deficiencies in some plants. I would switch to EI if i were you

When dealing with an LFS it's harder than just creating the tank how you would, putting it on display at an attempt to sell more products, some of which you did not bother to use in your tank.

It's about showing what you can do with the fertilisers, soil and kit available to you within that store.

I hear what you are saying though but it's a tough job when you are using a supplier they want to see you push there product and portray it a certain way. Clearly this is a TMC display, so you must work around this fact, and do the best you can with what you have.

Unless the OP can mix up an EI batch call it there own brand name and start selling It and using it in the tank?

Hi Duncan,

Are you dosing TMC NutraFeed? This is almost identical to TPN+, so should be ample nutrients, especially if dosed in sufficient qtys. I would dose 5ml per day and change 50% water at least twice per week. This should see off the algae and any nutrient deficiencies, as long as your CO2 levels and distribution are appropriate. As Clive suggests, I would suspect the main culprit being CO2 deficiency/poor distribution.

For the record I've had excellent results with the TMC NutraSoil and TMC NutraFeed combination. Here's a few examples (all 240 litre, 15ml TMC liquid per day, 50% WC per week). The first is an inert substrate.

6330047144_bd518dca42_o.jpg
jonny smith makeover by George Farmer, on Flickr

6330048940_74ab9efe65_o.jpg
jungle1 by George Farmer, on Flickr

6330048390_a9db66a4f9_o.jpg
jungle2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

You are right, if this was my tank at home I would definitely use EI, but as i'm displaying products that are for sale in the shop, it would be rather pointless on this one.

George, the above tanks are awesome. And thanks for the boost in confidence regarding the AquaGro stuff. It seems to be looking better already. I'll post up a photo later.

There really now examples George. We all know how well there lights perform so nice to see the ferts coming along and the substrate.

What's the response to date with planted tanks in your LFS Duncan?

We already have a fairly large tropical section but we haven't really done much with planted tanks. I thought a few nice displays would get people hooked!
Give it time, Duncan. :)

If I were the manager of the shop I would put up a sign next to the planted display tank. It would show the name of the guy who set it up and maintains it, maybe with a profile photo. Then when you see a customer looking at the tank you can hopefully engage in conversation with them, and they'll know you're the right man to talk to. What newcomers need to know is that it's easier than ever and you stock the necessary products, and can give the right advice - in-person, over the phone etc. Come across as approachable as possible. Oh, and obviously let them know about UKAPS, if you haven't already.

Have you seen the printable leaflets we have? - Resources | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Getting new/old fishkeepers into planted tanks and aquascaping in stores is a no-brainer and should be relatively easy with a nice display tank, you just can't rely on the tank itself to do the selling... ;)

Sorry for the rambling but it's a subject close to my heart.

Cheers,
George

Thanks George. I really appreciate the advice! Also, your obviously in the wrong trade! Ha

We are in the greater Manchester area. I'll hopefully get some pics up this afternoon.

Back