• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leggy stemplants

chris1004

What is the beat way to make my stemplants 'bushy'?

I have some "Ambrulia" (I think thats what its called, light green not unsimilar to combomba) which only produces leaves every 2"-3" along the stem or so. I keep cutting it just above a leaf node and then replanting the top but it still grows with large gaps between leaf nodes. Combomba also gets a bit leggy after a while but when I first but it from my LFS its lovely and bushy so I know I am doing somthing wrong I just don't know what. :oops:

trimming and re planting isnt what you need to do.

its best to start with new plants, but you must allow the stem to grow to the waters surface. once its reached the top cut about 3 inches from the bottom depending on the size of the tank or the effect your after.

disgard the cuttings or give them away.

from the stem thats still planted 2 more should grow. let it reach the surface repeat the process but 2 inches above the first cut. 1 stem becomes 4

with each cut the growth slows down but you'll ebd up with a bush. rotalas are great for it.

tip. the lower parts look crap so hide them with rocks or wood. crypts are good too.

I have also been wondering about this.

So to just to clarify this, you should cut about 3 inches off the bottom, throw this bit away and replant the top part as it were.

Cheers Gordon.

BINKSY1973 said:
So to just to clarify this, you should cut about 3 inches off the bottom, throw this bit away and replant the top part as it were.

no. other way around. leave the planted bit planted. chuck or give away or even re plant the top bit.

saintly said:
no. other way around. leave the planted bit planted. chuck or give away or even re plant the top bit.

Thanks for that, thats what i have been doing, and yes i have been getting extra shots from the cut.

Glad im doing something right. :lol: :lol:

Cheers Gordon.

ok I have lots of single legged plants to start with all I have been doing is cutting the tops and replanting them :lol:

Why do you have to let it reach the surface though? and do you need to let it grow accross the surface for a bit? or is it best to cut them as soon as they reach the surface? Should I cut them above or below the leaf node?

chris1004 said:
Why do you have to let it reach the surface though?

so the plant is at its strongest. its no good cutting a stem when the stem is thin and still developing. you need to be thick. cut it above the node where you want it to grow from.

let it grow across the top a little. then after you start getting new growth, you'll get the odd stem that grows quicker than the others....cut it out! usually the second trim is a good time to create your desired shape.

remember the first cut dictates how unsightly anything below that cut looks. use any hardscape you may have as a marker. some say you have to watch ferts lighting etc, as in lowering them. i don't, i just carry on with EI and lighting as normal. i'll just add 1 x 50% W/C extra in that week until the heads come through.

this may not work for everyone, so folks, don't go shooting me if it don't work for you ;)

chris1004 said:
....and do you need to let it grow accross the surface for a bit?

If you have Rotala sp, let them grow across the top and observe the change in shape/growth. You may like the look. :idea:

Dave.

Ok this may seem a silly question, once you have some extra srems growing from the cut, and these have reached the surface how do you go about cutting these?

Cheers Gordon.

BINKSY1973 said:
once you have some extra srems growing from the cut, and these have reached the surface how do you go about cutting these?

just the same as before but an inch higher. growth does slow down upon cutting, once the new crown develops things speed up a little. nip out any that shoot ahead of the others.

Back