• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leeches or planeria problem?

Deano3

Anyone have any idea of how to get rid of these as seem to have them from somewere and seem to have replaced my snail problem With these somehow

Dean
13988386b415573f3a204d20852ee9e7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Well I happen to have them also in my 50l, I put it down to having no fish in their to eat them. If I remember correct you can cut their heads in half and they will end up with two heads - not that thats any help 🤣.
So will be interesting to see what folk have to say about them ;)

Have I just received plants from this tank ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately yes i didnt know i had any until very recently

Why didn’t you tell me as the plants only arrived today
And I put them on the surface of my 350 litre to get string light and good Ferts to help them recovery
Not happy mate think I’ll destroy them

Dont know of leech or planeria?

They are planaria, you can buy a dog wormer medication on ebay. Search for planaria on eBay There's a chap that sells it ready made/dissolved. Just have to remove nerites.

They can come in on plants/hardscape and nerites, not sure if they can travel on fish but I wouldn't be surprised. They can withstand minus temps and high temps and as @Zeus says they will regrow from the tiniest piece of body.

Why didn’t you tell me as the plants only arrived today
And I put them on the surface of my 350 litre to get string light and good Ferts to help them recovery
Not happy mate think I’ll destroy them

There's really no need to worry too much, eSHa-ndx will kill them

They are planaria, you can buy a dog wormer medication on ebay. Search for planaria on eBay There's a chap that sells it ready made/dissolved. Just have to remove nerites.

They can come in on plants/hardscape and nerites, not sure if they can travel on fish but I wouldn't be surprised. They can withstand minus temps and high temps and as @Zeus says they will regrow from the tiniest piece of body.
Thanks mate ordered hopefully kill them as dont want in tank , dont know what to do with snails as just got them hopefully they will be ok in a tub for couple of days

Definitely remove the snails though, the kit comes with full instructions. Not sure on a temp home but I imagine an old ice cream tub with a lid would be OK,

Defently planaria as arrow heads so hopefully clears them right up thanks for the help mate

Which meds have you bought @Deano3? The one @Tim Harrison recommended or the one I did.
Not sure if the esha is OK with snails but the one I posted about contains Fenbendazole which is toxic to nerites, meaning you cannot return the snails to the tank for at least 7 days.

eSHa-ndx...

Composition/ml Active ingredients:
54 mg Levamisoli hydrochloridum (Levamisole hydrochloride). Other ingredients: 0.85 mg Methylis parahydroxybenzoas, 1.4 mg Natrii metabisulfis, aqua.

Tolerance:
eSHa-ndx is well tolerated by ornamental fish in freshwater and marine aquaria. We did not observe any negative effects on crustaceans. You should be careful with lower animals like corals, anemones, sea urchins, snails, clams etc., when present, treat the fish in a quarantine tank. Do observe the aquarium well during treatment and, in case of complications, filter over activated carbon first and then perform a water change. This product also kills Planaria and non-parasitic nematode worms. These Planaria and worms can excrete toxic substances when dying. Remove, especially in marine tanks, as many Planaria and non-parasitic worms as possible, before and during treatment.

I purchased a pre mixed batch and sent my tank dimentions etc and says not ok for nerites so will have to remove them.

Thanks guys

Are the planeria any problem to shrimp or fish or just another organism that lives in tanks that show themselves when they have no natural predators?
I sometimes get them at start up, never had them cause any problems. They disappear as soon as I introduce fish, I guess they get eaten.
This PFK article seems to think they are a problem though.

If you search the forum there are a few threads offering good advice ;)

Have used the Pancur 1 gram sachets (ebay) as some folk recommend on the web and they do suggest a dosage method , which we followed.
Could not get all the little pond type snails out of the tank, but some did survive.
Sadly two of the fish did not !! so be very sure what you are dosing . We would suggest you move your fish out , unless you have 100% guarantee on the correct dosing method etc.
The method we used took about 4 days to be effective, before doing big water changes and plus carbon.
Thankfully Never seen any more worms ..

Back