• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LEDs in abundance!

Would love to know how effective those LED floodlights are (and what the spread is like on them). My 70w MH shop spotlight has just died and gave a pretty close spread to what I needed (3'x3' tank approx 2' below light), but wouldn't mind something cheaper to run.

EDIT - In answer to my own question, the floods have a quoted 'viewing angle' of 120 degrees. I'm assuming this is the same as beam angle, which, following some rather shaky high school trigonometry, would mean having the light lowered to about a foot off the water, which wouldn't really work for me.

Well curiosity got the better of me... ordered the 30W 'White light' version, supposedly about 100W MH equivalent (based on, who knows?).

Anyway, it's useless. I don't have a PAR meter but it's obviously only about half the power of my 70W MH, if that. The light beam is also really broad, and the colour temperature is really cold.

I suppose I could see them working if you wanted to DIY them into a hood and have them right above the water, but for suspending at any sort of height... nope.

What's the saying Foxfish? LEDs suck?! :)

I'm not a believer. I've tried loads of LEDs for loads of different things and I always find the light they cast turns the place into the maximum security wing at Barlinnie prison.

Skatersav said:
What's the saying Foxfish? LEDs suck?! :)

I'm not a believer. I've tried loads of LEDs for loads of different things and I always find the light they cast turns the place into the maximum security wing at Barlinnie prison.

You need to have seen George Farmers tank (that Troi is now caretaker of) then because he ran it with 2 x TMC tiles and it looked great. And I believe Ianho is running 2 x Grobeams now and he is chuffed with the result. A lot of newer products are also dimmable. I thing that LED's are undoubtedly the future and its a shame for people to discount them based on generalisations :?

Out of interest Skatersav, have you tried any dimmable versions ?

The saying is - "you get what you pay for" - unfortunately, affective LEDS are expensive!

Personally I am not a great fan, the colour choice is limited & the good units are not good value in my opinion!

However I do believe that LEDs are going to get better & cheaper, maybe the future but, maybe not!

The tmc lights are nice, I have a 1000nd tile.

But there will be something good coming. :)

I measured today with a par meter, I own one, a set of leds from germany, that were measuring 80par at substrate. :) now that is an amazing unit!!

ghostsword said:
The tmc lights are nice, I have a 1000nd tile.

Hey luis,
I was looking at getting a 1000ND tile for a tank Ive just bought.
Its a 60x40x40 (cm). Would one of these be adequate for a high tech?

What do you use it on? Can you show me any pictures of setup please? Either in here or to my inbox.

Regards,

If its good enough for you, it definitely is for me! :thumbup:

Do you use a controller? Or just at 100%?

Think the idea of a sunrise/ sunset would be pleasant. And closer to mimicking nature.

Thanks for your reply luis, i will look into getting my hands on one :)
Oh before I forget, is yours hung above or done using 2 brackets and rails?
Wouldnt know which would be better?

Regards,

I am using it with the tmc brackets, quite high from the tank. :)

I do have a 45 minute ramp up at end and close. You can leave the light at 1% at shutdown, a bit like full moon. Nice unit, I would not mind getting another, but the controllers are expensive.

May invest on a multi controller so that I can use more than one.

BigTom said:
ghostsword said:
I am using it with the tmc brackets, quite high from the tank. :)

What sort of height do you reckon it'd need to be at to cover 90x90cm, Luis? And d'ya reckon it'd be any use for a low light setup at that distance.

For low light it will be perfect, at 60cm from substrate, 45cm of water it will put out almost 50par.

10 cm from the sensor it gives 220par.

Mid tank it is about 80par, so good for stems.

Back