• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED/MH/T5 equivalence - guesswork help needed!

BigTom

Hi all,

I know this is going to be tricky without any PAR info, but I was hoping between us we might come up with a good guess.

I'm looking at changing the lighting on my Bucket (90x90cm, 30cm tall) to a custom LED setup.

Currently, it's running off a single 70W MH suspended 60cm above the tank (90cm above the substrate). This is pretty low light - I'd like to bump the brightness up slightly, whilst remaining low tech.

Now the new lighting unit will be using 3w Chinese CREE copies, but I need to decide how many - I'm getting it made by a guy over on the TFF forums, and he generally works in sort of T8/T5 equivalences based on what the customer is looking to grow but is having a hard time calculating how many would be equivalent to a 70w MH at the height mentioned above.

He's proposed something like 4 rows each of 5 x 3w LEDs, but I'd be very grateful if anyone else would weigh in with an opinion here. I'm not expecting any definitive answers, but some sort of general consensus would be nice!

Cheers,
Tom

Back