• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Learning Curve!

Oh another question! When I change the water I turn the filter off by telling the smart switch turn off filter. Do I need to tell it to turn off heater at the same time? I've been forgetting and just turning off the filter. I don't want the damage the heater, it's an Oase thermo with the heater inside :) Thanks in advance!!!

Hi just seen this @Kimbubbley , looks great and for you question yes switch off heater aswel to be safe, i always have

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hi just seen this @Kimbubbley , looks great and for you question yes switch off heater aswel to be safe, i always have

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Hiya, thank you! OK, will do. Completely forgot about heater in it. rolls eyes, rookie mistake! Something to add to my learning curve :)

Day 3. Lessons learnt. The tank got along just fine on its own without me watching and fretting today :D

I set the CO2 to go off an hour before the lights went off tonight. And have set it to come back on 3hrs before the lights come on again tomorrow. I can't be around to see how long it takes for the drop checker to go back to yellow due to work. So decided longer is better and went with 3hrs. I will have to wait until the weekend now to monitor the changes.

I did the water change after the lights went out. 80%+ and I added Excel 1ml per 50ltrs after reading that far in the New decade new decadence thread :)

The white film has just started on small piece of the wood. I will leave it until the weekend and decide if I'm going to brush and syphon it off.

Had fun tonight when I fumbled the pump hose filling the tank back up and pumped water all over the carpet. I don't have to worry about the wife. I am the wife! So, Oh dear, never mind about the water. These things happen! :lol:

I'm concerned about the The Rock shading the trident fern underneath and the moss. Neither are getting any light. Should I take The Rock off and try again with something smaller??

I also set the CO2 to come on 3hrs before the lights today. Which it did. But when I came home from work it wasn't the yellow green I was hoping for. I have turned up the CO2 a bit more. And will set the timer for another hour earlier tomorrow and see what it's like when I get home tomorrow. I'm home about 1.5hrs after the lights go on.

The MC is mostly growing I think. There's a patch in the front that isn't as healthy and has some melting. I've tried to disturb the melt gently and take it out the tank. I know the CO2 flows round there so I'm guessing it's probably a little shaded by The Rock maybe?? But there is no specific shadow on it. It was planted quite deep. I've tried to uncover it a little to see it that helps while I think about what to do with The Rock.

The white film is certainly growing so atleast something is living its best life! And nothing is melting or looking really worse for wear. Not even the crypts. Seeing as most of the inhabitants have been torn apart, buried then flooded they don't seem to be doing too bad :thumbup:

So after some thought at the water change last night. I have had a decision about the patch of MC that's not doing so well. That's where I put the tissue and hose when I refill the tank. I think perhaps the MC there is being bruised by the water or similar. Will come up with another method for tonight's water change this evening and see if it recovers!

I have a question about possibly the only thing you did not spec in your first post! 😂

what is the cabinet? And can you give a link to it?

I will likely get this tank, but want a cabinet for it as it’s just too big to feel safe with it on furniture not designed for a fish tank

thanks

I have a question about possibly the only thing you did not spec in your first post! 😂

what is the cabinet? And can you give a link to it?

I will likely get this tank, but want a cabinet for it as it’s just too big to feel safe with it on furniture not designed for a fish tank

thanks
Hi Paul cabinet is an Aqua one Inspire 60. Just Google it and have a look. You can get them from lots of places including Maidenhead Aquatics stores. There are different colours and different handles to choose from. Have a look see what you think. Or could visit a store and see them in person :)

Day 8. This morning was a busy morning! There were things I wanted to do with the tank. And I wanted to do them and get the tank back up and running before the CO2 came on at 11.30am.so this morning I scraped in my pj's! :lol:
The wood has been growing white slimy biofilm since about Day 2. I know it isn't doing any harm. But I don't like to look at it so much. So first job today was dropping the water while using an electric toothbrush to get rid of as much of the biofilm as I could.
There is also something else growing in the wood. I will put it in the picture below. It's like a brown film. Kinda a bit fluffy. Not BBA that's for sure. Maybe diatoms?
IMG_20210313_162019016.jpg
IMG_20210313_162019016.jpg

I cleaned it off the wood in my immediate view. But didn't go to town on it totally. It brushes off easily and cleanly. This is the piece of wood I cleaned it off of below. And you can see there's no harm done.
IMG_20210313_162108777.jpg
IMG_20210313_162108777.jpg

I also had to do something about the hardscape today. I have know all week that it has been shifting. And that the filters and glue method of fixing hardscape didn't work for me. When I looked properly today. All of those joints had broken. And the pieces were no longer attached to each other. Just balanced and luckily hadn't collapsed!!
I did have a go at regluing, but it was clear this wasn't going to.be successful. So instead the scape is now held together by strategic tie wraps. I feel much better about this. Now I know I don't need to worry about the hardscape collapsing :) Or shifting.
The other major change for today was removing The Rock. Which was tie wrapped on top of all the wood pieces to stop them floating. Removing The Rock has been a weight off my mind as well as a weight off the wood.
The Rock has been shading the plants underneath. Especially a patch of trident fern I want to grow to fill the centre point. The Rock has also had a massive effect to the flow in the tank. But now it is gone. These is still a small rock incase the wood still wants to float. The wood has only been in the tank for a week after all. But the new piece is hidden at the back. Where there are no plants on the wood. And now can't be seen in the tank :)
IMG_20210313_160415483.jpg

This is the tank this afternoon after all the work. With no Rock in view. I'm very pleased with it.
Things are growing!!
IMG_20210313_162206320.jpg

There are new incredibly tiny hydrocotyle verticillata leaves.
IMG_20210313_160449806.jpg

The MC is growing and filling in the gaps slowly. Even tho I had a syphoning accident. Suck up some air instead of some water. And the back flow of the air blew a patch of the MC that I had to replant Again!!! :lol::lol:
You would think after a week of daily water changes I would have got to grips with it. But no. I am also glad the carpet is very forgiving!
IMG_20210313_162303750.jpg

The Rotala RO has reached the water surface. It did have atleast a couple of inches at the beginning of the week to get there. But it has both grown and straightened. Tomorrow's job is to trim it and replant the tips :)

All in all the tank is coming along nicely and I am very pleased at the end of the first week. There is a noticeable different to plant growth.

And today I got to watch and check that the drop checker is the right colour before the lights come on. Its good, its a good light green and goes to kinda yellow approx and hour after lights have been on. It does take the full 4hrs tho to get there before the lights come on. I checked the pH as it went along. It drops from 7.4 to 6.6 then stops there for the duration. I don't think this is the best reference as the water is being changed every day with tap water. Either at night, or in the mornings. But I was interested to see how it changes. I so know the nitrate sits at 40ppm. It's about 30ppm from the tap. And I have nitrite of 1-2ppm. But my ammonia is ways zero. I don't think I can read ammonia with the NT Lab kit I have because of the Prime. But the API kit I think reads it. Just that there is none. Between the stability I'm putting in and the plants and soil I guess it's being utilised.

Next week is a week of no change to the routine. The same water changes as low a waterline as I can get, hopefully without disturbing the MC. And CO2 I will leave to just tick over as its going. And on the yellow side. I'm waiting for new drop checker and solution as these were gifted to me. I have no idea how old the drop checker solution is. I will set the new drop checker up in a different part of the tank. As the current one is sitting in the place I think gets the least flow in the tank. And see if there is a difference between them. CO2 must be find in the low flow area, the pearl weed is growing... like a weed!
IMG_20210313_173735510.jpg

This is looking great. It's pleasing to see it all going so well for you and that all of your hard work is paying off. I can't wait to see how this looks in a few weeks.

WEEK 2 Update. I cant believe the tank has only been planted for 2 weeks!! It seems like SOOOOO much longer...maybe this is due to all the daily water changes?!! :lol:
I have just looked back at the difference between the picture I posted when the tank was planted before flooding. And the image I took today.
WOWZERS! Things are growing fast.

Today was the first real big maintenance day. Last weekend I cleaned the glass for the first time properly. But I wasnt brave enough to open up the Thermo 350 and clean the prefilters.
A 2nd week of cleaning glass all week, trimming stems and replanting them. And atleast a whole 5 days of not spilling water anywhere has made me braver.

Plus last weekend I cleaned the glass Sunday with the water change in the morning, but didnt get to do a water change until the Monday after work. 36hrs later instead of 24hrs. The tank and all the glass I cleaned was covered in diatom dust when I got home from work on that Monday :wideyed:. Lesson learnt... tank is not ready yet to go more than 24hrs without a water change.

So anywho, today was major maintenance day. And actually, it wasnt that bad :thumbup:

I did it all very slow and didnt worry about the CO2 coming on and getting the maintenance done before that time. Taking the prefilters out of the Thermo is actually super easy. And not a single drip was lost to the carpet. The foams were FILTHY. Way dirtier than I expected after just 2 weeks from setup. I totally should have done them last weekend. Which was probably the cause of the diatoms. I should have taken a pic to show. But i didnt. I did intend to wash them in tank water as the tank is new and i'm trying to populate the filter. But actually they were too dirty for that. I ended up squeezing them out for quite a while under the tap instead. I am planning now on getting another set of sponges to exchange each time. And clean them thoroughly at my leisure. I also carefully removed the filter head and swapped out the bag or Purigen I have in the top try for a fresh bag. This also turned out to not be a drama at all. And not a drip was spilt on the carpet. I did remember to take a picture of the Purigen for prosperity...
Purigen after 2 weeks.jpg

Purigen after two weeks in new tank. I read that it reduces diatoms and removes tannins. I didnt want diatoms. And I hate tannin water. So I thought I would give it a go. Considering it was off white when new and now its very not. I guess its doing something. In general the tank doesn't have any algae... yet. The wood has a thin dark layer of something. Maybe its just how wood goes. Maybe its diatoms. But I certainly don't have any major diatom bloom or filamentous diatoms. They arent covering the rocks or plants. So maybe between the Purigen and the Twinstar M5 its working. But I couldnt say for sure.

Next I Carefully removed the lily pipe and outlet. Turns out that wasnt a drama either. First time I tried to do it. When I put them on the dry tank but decided the pipes were a little too long. I had pushed them on too far and they were stuck. I tried all sorts to get them off. But eventually gave up and cut them off seeing as the pipes were too long anyway. When I put them back on for the second time I only put them on a centimeter or so. Seeing as the pipes stick themselves tight to them anyway. This made them super easy to get off today. Soaked them a while in a bleach solution and cleaned them up. And then in Prime to get rid of the bleach, and they have come up a treat. The co2 tubing came up a treat with a but of a scrub too.

Then the usual massive water change and a hoover of any floating crud. And BoBs your Aunty! Back to a super clean sparkley tank again... took me about 4 hours tho :wacky: So Ive been quite happy ever since spending the rest of a lazy Sunday grinning like a Cheshire Cat at it.
Tank topping up.jpg

Sparkly clean tank topping back up. I dont run it straight from the tap. I have a water pump on 3-5v variable power supply adapter. Ebay special. Pumping up from 25ltr water bottles. After the bald patch last week where I think the water onto kitchen towel method damaged the MC. Its now carefully wedged in the top of the hardscape and runs at a trickle into the tank until there is some water there and I can turn it up a bit. Seems to be ok and think MC is starting to recover. So for now the method will probably stay.
Tank week 2.jpg

Tank week 2 pics. Filling out :thumbup:
Tank week 2-2.jpg

Anubis all have new leaves.jpg

Anubis all have new leaf on each plant.

Filling in and Tripatita.jpg

MC getting there slowly. Really love Hydrocotyle Tripartita. Such a delicate pretty thing.
Moss is growing and pearling.jpg

Moss is growing and pearling. Wouldnt grow in the Biorb all the branches have a bright green growing tip.
Rotala Ro' pale growth.jpg

Not sure what to do about Rotala Ro'. At the tips of the new growth when they reach the top, they grow pale with a slight pink blush. They were emmersed pots. So they are still converting and im not sure what submerged growth should look like. They appear a much finer stem. Obviously the leaves elongate when they change which i can see. But I think they look to me like they are hungry for something.
Not nitrate, there's a ton of it in the tap water. Phosphate maybe? Dunno what phosphate is in my tap, its not in the water board report. I have started giving 2mls TNC complete every day. But that has only been since Friday. So will review it next week I guess and see if I can see a change :nailbiting: Will keep my fingers crossed!

Need to start reducing the CO2 this week. Its been running yellow for 2 weeks. I still have some white biofilm. I would like to put some Nerites in to help with this. Also some Amano if I can find some. Although my GH is 17 and im not sure if this is too high?? But for sure I think the CO2 is to high for them. So this weeks mission is dial it down bit by bit. To a healthy green. And once I think its stable, review the time it comes on as CO2 is coming on 4 hrs before the lights. And I think for this size tank that is probably quite early.

I also found an issue with my lights this week. Could also be responsible for the pale Rotala maybe? I thought i had set the lights for a 15min ramp each side of the cycle. Then 6hrs with lights at 50% between these. Turns out when I reviewed it, the 15min ramps were fine. But I had set the mid cycle to ramp also. From 50% to 100% over 6hrs. Doh!!

I have since set the light value as it should have been originally, to 6hrs at 50%. I think I should leave this while I dial down the CO2. In my inexperience im guessing everything has been fine in the tank with no algae, because with the soil leaching nutrients and the CO2 running at yellow, the high light has been matched. But now the nutrients are washing out the Rotala is struggling for food under the high CO2/lights demands so has grown pale. But I would LOVE so input as to whether im barking up the right tree or not??
IMG_20210321_093104053.jpg
One more pic because hes sooo cute and has also had a spring clean. Waffle :) GF is not the only one with an Aquascapers side kick!:lol:

TTFN Kim

Tank Week 3
Pleased to report the Diatom bloom seems to be subsiding. I cleaned the glass in the middle of the week and it hasn't come back. Yippee! :D Now I just have to clean the pipes a d lily pipes. As they browned again after did them last weekend. Meh! Never mind!
The tank has its first inhabitants. So nice to see critters in it. 6 Amano shrimp!
IMG_20210326_175149967.jpg

Well there were 6 to start with! One early had a death wish and jumped out of the acclimation tub. Luckily I could stop peeking at them and realised there were suddenly 5.amd found him quick and plopped him back!

They kind seem happy enough. I can notice. The difference in the diatoms on some of the leaves already. I wish you could tell them "Can you start on the white wood biofilm first please" As I will be glad to see the back of that!
I'm sure I sadly saw one go down the outlet pipe. I took the pre-filter out. But didn't find it there. I've since had a nitrite spike and treated it with an extra dose of Prime. Tomorrow I will have a go at taking out the filter baskets just incase I can find it. But otherwise I'll have to monitor the situation. It might be that the filter bioload isn't high enough yet to cope with me washing the pre-filters under that tap. And that's what caused the spike? I'm still using Stability also. So I think the remaining shrimp will be ok as long as I look out for any stress.

They seem OK still. I made a shrimp filter for the skimmer :) Chuffed with it actually!

And I also took a leaf out of the Green Aqua book and put clingfilm over the edges of the tank for a few days until they stop exploring the sides. Although this is settling down already. Every so often the stop eating and go exploring. So rather safe than sorry. I'm miffed already there's a fiver sitting in the filter!
IMG_20210327_200208623.jpg

There are some ithon snails so coming in the post. I've stopped doing the 80%+ water changes since I've put the Amano in the tank and gone to 50%. Hopefully this will be ok. I haven't upped the lights from 50% this week after realising they werent set properly last week. But I've noticed the carpet plants do seem to have spread so much as they did when the lights were set wrong. So the plan is to mo it or the 50% water changes. See how they go and effect then tank. And if all looks good, up the lights a little and see how that goes.
I have to say that after 3 weeks it's actually going far better than I hoped it would. And the tank is really clean. With no algae issues at all.
I think that has been due to some excellent advice. I'm very grateful to everyone who has helped. And for all the advice in the forums threads!

Tank Week 3.5 :)
This week the fish moved in from their old home. They seem to like it, I think?

The flow is stronger than in the Biorb. And their behaviour is different. The Danio and Embers seem to like the higher flow areas. It's early doors, they only went into the tank yesterday. I'm expecting with the Embers this will stay the case as they seem to sit in the flow waiting for food the come to them. But the Danios I would like to see hunting more. Atm I think the males can see their reflection in the glass and are displaying to them? Is this a thing?? I'll see if I can upload some video later.
I did a major maintenance and cleaned the pipes this morning.
IMG_20210331_100115364.jpg

This turned into a bit of a drama. As couldn't get to work again. Just clacked at me and made me panic. Double check all hoses where connected in right places. Tried to prime it. Turned it on. Turned it off. Then messaged a friend for moral support! Who said don't worry it just an air lock, persevere it will be ok... It was OK in the end. I have decided I don't like cleaning pipes!! :/
IMG_20210330_124701411.jpg

The snails have arrived. They are very cute. One has a broken shell. He's alive but hasn't done much. The other two have been out exploring. Hopefully he will be ok.
I caught all the big cherries shrimp from the Biorb. There as just shrimplets left now that need to get bigger before I can catch them. Do male and female shrimp have names? For some reason the big girls I want to call a sow? Like a pig. Not sure if I've read it or made it up. So if anyone reads and knows, I would really like to know!! Mine are bigger than the new Amano shrimp. I'm sure that's not right. The Amano must have some growing to do!! If the live. There were Five in the pre filter this morning. I opened the canister and they all pinged out!!! I spent a hectic 10 mi utes trying to pick them all up again. No wonder I thought I was a bit short of Amano shrimp!! Not sire if they got in there before or after the home made shrimp filter for the skimmer. If they are in there again next time I open it. The home made shrimp skimmer filter idea will have to go back to the drawing board.
IMG_20210331_152413123.jpg

Pic of Zippy. Who is also still going up and down the glass atm sometimes. Instead of hunting in the wood and pecking at things. I think he needs a girlfriend. I think he's trying to case his own reflection off atm. He's so taken a turn and been spat out the lily pipe :( I'm hoping he will stay away from it now. Otherwise the lily pipe will need a rethink too!

Pic of Zippy. Who is also still going up and down the glass atm sometimes. Instead of hunting in the wood and pecking at things. I think he needs a girlfriend. I think he's trying to case his own reflection off atm. He's so taken a turn and been spat out the lily pipe :( I'm hoping he will stay away from it now. Otherwise the lily pipe will need a rethink too!
Yes they are a communal fish and need others of their kind to feel at home. And then you will see them interacting with their environment. And feeling things out as they swim about.

Back