• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Lean dosing pros and cons

Happi

@John q

Weekly Dose:
N 2.65 (your current dose)
P 0.35 (use this)
K 6
Mg 1
Fe 0.4ppm from csm+b trace

use this instead, your current dose of PO4 seems very low compared to the N. you do not have to worry too much about the livestock while using Urea under your water parameters. you could be adding 0.5 N daily from Urea and consider it a safe dose if you wanted. also it would be wise to keep the 1 ppm Mg because you are dosing much higher N and K. no need to add Fe DTPA to this Mix as it will further affect the Fe and Mn ratio. I still encourage you to try a different name brand for Micro and avoid using csm+b if possible.

JoshP12

Hi @JoshP12

I use Flourish P, Flourish Fe and Flourish Trace. But, that's only because I'm trying to use them up! Details of the Nitrogen source to follow at a later date. What I'm doing is akin to The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour but they're not coming to take me away - just yet!

JPC
Thanks for sharing that John.

We complain about seachem being so light on ferts - it’s worse than ADA lol. But pair it with glut and you have a slow growing co2 injected tank without injecting co2. Their N source is urea. It’s so lean without falling short of anything. Use their fluorite and you literally have nothing in the water (but you have everything). Their booster has loads of potassium —- everything lean lean lean except
Booster.

It’s not a coincidence that potassium can be regulated internally by the plant to some extent relative to the other nutrients and them and ADA run it in such excess.

Happi

@JoshP12

this is the biggest question and I do not know the philosophy behind ADA or Seachem to use so much K, when Tropica choose to dose very little. according to many scientist and books, it seems that K, Fe and traces should be our main focus and not to worry way too much about N and P in our aquarium.

it would be appropriate to dose little extra K for those who hardly change water, as this will prevent the N and P from building up in the aquarium.