• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Lean dosing pros and cons

medlight

N 3ppm from UREA only.
I think basing the N with only urea could lead to problems
I quote this link where @Happy quotes this problem
"Adding an excessive amount of urea can result in BBA and Cyano at the top of the plant appearing to have a dark color and the same odor as Cyano."

MichaelJ

Laziness. I hated having to take a few minutes to make new ferts instead of 2 mouseclicks and wait a day. Its insane I know. That is the sort of society we are becoming. I'm paying a lot extra to not have that minor hassle, yet I pay it with a smile knowing I wont have to make new ferts at a moment that I dont really have time for it (which to be fair is always since I hate doing it).
I hear you... When I started out doing my own macros an remineralization I thought it would be daunting. However, measuring out the 4-5 salts I'm using and dumping them into the tanks after my weekly WC has become 2nd nature - takes me a fraction of the overall time I spend on the weekly maintenance. I would feel differently about traces though - I cant imagine myself mixing my own traces from the 7-8 odd raw materials that typically goes into traces... So for traces I am just mixing a 500 ml water solution using Nilog Plantex CMS+B. It will typically last 5-6 weeks.

Cheers,
Michael

plantnoobdude

I think basing the N with only urea could lead to problems
I quote this link where @Happy quotes this problem
"Adding an excessive amount of urea can result in BBA and Cyano at the top of the plant appearing to have a dark color and the same odor as Cyano."
hi, @Happi. thoughts? also 3ppm N per week is a good start right?

Happi

hi, @Happi. thoughts? also 3ppm N per week is a good start right?
Based on my observations the 3 ppm N urea will only cause that issue and the cyano on the tip is if you were dosing it excessively along with high po4. 3 ppm N split into small doses such as 0.2-0.5 N daily is no issue at all. I don't see the point dosing 3 ppm N from urea in a single dose.

plantnoobdude

Based on my observations the 3 ppm N urea will only cause that issue and the cyano on the tip is if you were dosing it excessively along with high po4. 3 ppm N split into small doses such as 0.2-0.5 N daily is no issue at all. I don't see the point dosing 3 ppm N from urea in a single dose.
perfect, i struggle with cyano on tips of cuphea and other stems so i don't want to make it worse.