• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lava-Rock The World v2.0

Love your mosses mate, keep up the good work!:)

That's a lovely and quite different layout. I love how the moss growth softens the big block of red. It really works, great stuff :)

That's a lovely and quite different layout. I love how the moss growth softens the big block of red. It really works, great stuff :)

Yeah, looking great now the moss has grown in. Have to admit I wasn't hugely keen on the lava rock to begin with, but the contrast works really nicely now.
Thanks both of You! Indeed ,in the beginning everyone said that is a landscape from the planet Mars... :D But by time the whole scape and especially the mosses grow like mad, unfortunately the parvula what was planted, completely disappeared... but I will make another try soon with acicularis also. ;) To soften the transition in the background between valisneria and the rocks.

Stevo,

I personally don't appreciate this kind of rock, but what you did with them and the colors that your aquarium have are just beautiful.
Love it.

Pedro.
Thanks Pedro and all of, who commented before, all were a massive compliment for me! Such an amazing thing, that you appreciate my work and effort, for making this rock more "loveable" :) For this kind of attitude it worth the hard work. ;)

Well, I haven't updated this thread for a while... for almost half a year, oh gosh...Apologize for it, I have had a lot of work and university things, what I had to take care of. But last week I have taken this massive moss jungle apart, unfortunately the hair algae almost killed the whole scape, that was the final stab in my heart.
I was wondering a lot, what to do, instead of it. But I kept my original idea to make another iwagumi/mountain like layout. I have made the hardscape in a temporary tank, so I had to label the rocks one by one, to recreate the scape in the original tank.

Some pics, please excuse the poor quality I had to hurry at that time...

10444045634_df8e9c0554_z.jpg
v2.0 - Layout test 20131023 by [stevo], on Flickr

10444224723_4beb8bf408_z.jpg
v2.0 - Left sideview 20131023 by [stevo], on Flickr

10444041834_17b8caa944_z.jpg
v2.0 - Frontview 20131023 by [stevo], on Flickr

10444039094_8b0b786edd_z.jpg
v2.0 - Right sideview 20131023 by [stevo], on Flickr

Love the rock work xtevo, what do you have in mind for planting this time round ? Look forward to following version 2 mate :)

Thank You! ;)
Well good idea, what to plant. I will definitely use some christmas and java moss, these are my favorites, but this time I venture into fissidens also, with some parvula and acicularis at the back. So mainly slow growing plants, with some grass. :)

What do You guys thinks about foreground? I would like to use some sand, but not sure about the color... white / brown / black... dunno.

Looks almost like a reef tank :).
I think it gets a bit "heavy" and compact with these big stones. I would probably want to open it up a bit more.
Will watch this.
Thomas

Hehe, indeed. :D Thats interesting, a friend of mine also said the same, that this tank is a bit crowded, don't have much space for fish/shrimps. I said the same to him, that after planting, You won't feel that. ;)

Hehe, indeed. :D Thats interesting, a friend of mine also said the same, that this tank is a bit crowded, don't have much space for fish/shrimps. I said the same to him, that after planting, You won't feel that. ;)

Maybe you are right. I would still create some kind of "hole" in the wall, though. But I am ready to be proven wrong ;).

Thomas

Like the new layout, looks much better than the old imo. Only thing I would suggest is breaking down the larger rocks to makes lots of smaller then build it up with those. The reason I suggest this is that there isn't much of a sense of perspective in the scape for me.... the large rocks do look overly large in the tank so the sense of scale is a bit off imo.

I like the new layout as well (liked the old one as well). It would scare the bejesus out of me putting all that rock into my tank without anything to cushion it though!

I think once it is partially covered with mosses etc it will be really broken up. Java moss looks abit random and wild I feel for a tank like this. How about coral pelia? Spikey moss would look nice too as would christmas moss. Grass at the back will look great.

Like the new layout, looks much better than the old imo. Only thing I would suggest is breaking down the larger rocks to makes lots of smaller then build it up with those. The reason I suggest this is that there isn't much of a sense of perspective in the scape for me.... the large rocks do look overly large in the tank so the sense of scale is a bit off imo.

Thank You! ;) Good idea, I will do that, to make a softer transition between sand and rocks!

I like the new layout as well (liked the old one as well). It would scare the bejesus out of me putting all that rock into my tank without anything to cushion it though!

Thank You! ;) Don't worry, I have tested it before, it wouldn't harm. I just have to care about not moving them suddenly or at all... :D

I think once it is partially covered with mosses etc it will be really broken up. Java moss looks abit random and wild I feel for a tank like this. How about coral pelia? Spikey moss would look nice too as would christmas moss. Grass at the back will look great.

You are right! I will skip java, and substitute to coral pelia, or riccardia.

Thanks for the feedback and advices, I appreciate it! :thumbup:

Back