• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Latest ph Profiles

Carpman

As I've been struggling with BBA, I decided to do a few profiles and here they are for you to peruse over. IF you can see any issues then please give me the heads up, I have taken a photo of all my notes with all the info needed.
20191110_190649[1].jpg

20191110_190624[1].jpg

Hi all,
Tenfold increase/decrease of acidity over the day
I'm not, nor ever will be, a CO2 user, but I don't think you (or your fish) need to be concerned about the changes in pH from adding CO2.

The same can't be said for a lot of snails, where pH below pH 7 will cause <"shell attrition">, and some fish (lake <"Tanganyika cichlids">?) may be a special case, due to the unusual stability and strange chemistry of Lake Tanganyika.

When you add CO2 what changes is the CO2 ~ HCO3- ~ pH equilibrium point. This diurnal pH variation happens naturally in vegetated waters, as photosynthesis depletes the CO2 during the day and respiration depletes the oxygen outside of the photo-period. There are some references in <"TDS and remin......"> and <"pH variances....">.

cheers Darrel

https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/cent...n_plans/ph_turbidity/ph_turbidity_04phreq.pdf.
see page 5.
Not saying it's a regular occurance in nature, though at the start of raining season waterlevels can rise 10-20 meter in the amazon which will change watercomposition hugely. Just having that change in weak acid reactions is not harmfull, indeed as Darrel says in very low microsiemens values any change in ions will reflect in large pH swings. this doesn't mean it will impact the internal fysiology of the fish as much. the internal parameters of the fish will be much more stabile as is in all vertebrates.
Also i have seen very many happy Huskies in my line of work, and many unhappy ones not having to do with temperatures at all.

In water with low CO2 the pH will also show large fluctuations. if you half the CO2 the pH will rise (roughly) 0.3 A difference of a few ppm CO2 can make a serious pH difference at low/natural CO2-levels.

though at the start of raining season waterlevels can rise 10-20 meter in the amazon which will change watercomposition hugely.
A similar change occurs when the monsoon arrives in those areas affected by it (the origin of many of our Asian fish), and when summer comes to the Himalayas, feeding large amounts of meltwater into many rivers and streams.

Back