• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Larger pieces of wood

Aqua360

Hi all,

Hoping to ask for some tips on a piece of wood I picked up to potentially use in an aquascape. It's rosewood, thick and heavy, with a nice profile but yeah, chunky.

My first thought would be to use moss, riccardia, that sort of thing on it, maybe even gluing something like pinnatifida.

I'd like to avoid just a massive bit of wood sitting there, surrounded by plants awkwardly. I'd like to be able to frame the wood properly

If anyone has images/examples they've worked on that sound similar, I'd be keen to see! Don't want to jump in then regret the hardscape.

I believe any hardwood or fruit wood is suitable just avoid soft woods. I used to worry about collecting wood from the unknown wilds but if you are reasonably sure no one has sprayed it with Roundup or anything else dangerous then give it a good soaking or boiling even though I have never done the soaking/boiling thing myself.
As Wolf6 suggested a photo eould be interesting.

Attachments

• 20211126_171249.jpg
    20211126_171249.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 149
Very nice piece, I'd go with river rock or another subtle rock to accentuate the curves, some medium hight plants around it, and use some moss and smaller epifytes to cover parts. But Id also leave enough wood uncovered. In my own tank I did something similar, but of course that is not to everyones taste :) looking forward to seeing wat you make of it, its a great looking piece!

20211121_203919.jpg

Back