• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Large Planted Table Aquarium?

shlunkster

Seedling
Hey Folks.

Just thought i'd get a bit of advice? I work in a large aquatics store near Manchester, and we currently have a 72"x72"x12" cichlid display, with a large wooden frame over the tank, which suspends 2 x Arcadia 4x39w T5s. It looks really good, however I think it would look even better as a large planted display, and due to it's size and shape, I thought it would be really interesting to try and grow some large emergent plants out the middle, and even grow some trailing/climbing plants around the wooden frame (not growing out of the water, just to make it look more "tropical")

I wondered if it would be possible to create a raised soil or similar mound in the centre of the tank, possibly sealed using hessian, then covered in a thin layer of aquasoil or simliar?

Anyway, if you have any ideas, or if you've seen this being done before, let me know. Alternatively, if i'm being stupid, it will stay as a large, impressive cichlid tank!

Kind Regards
Duncan

Here's a few photos I found on here, just to give you a little idea of the scale. Sorry they're a bit close up!

DSCF3626.jpg

DSCF3631.jpg

DSCF3632.jpg

Back