• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

L'aqaurium 720 (1500)

Water change day today, so the ideal time to finally get this beast of a co2 reactor installed. With the aim to reduce the co2 usage and totally eradicate any bubble escape. This runs on the main pump with a valve to divert some flow into the reactors. Bleed valves on each reactor aswell and very easy to take apart and clean.

IMG_20220626_124457_785.jpg

Hi all,
But purigen etc doesn't reduce nitrates massively like it says. I've tested it often.
Assuming that there <"isn't a small proportion of nitrate selective anion exchange resin"> in the mix, the only way Purigen could reduce nitrate (NO3-) would be by <"removing any large molecules (proteins etc)"> that would break down to give ammonia (NH3). It is that ammonia which would have undergone microbial nitrification to eventually end up as nitrate (NO3-).

To <"paraphrase an old saying"> I think "there are lies, damn lies <"and Se*chem"> .

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

Assuming that there <"isn't a small proportion of nitrate selective anion exchange resin"> in the mix, the only way Purigen could reduce nitrate (NO3-) would be by <"removing any large molecules (proteins etc)"> that would break down to give ammonia (NH3). It is that ammonia which would have undergone microbial nitrification to eventually end up as nitrate (NO3-).

To <"paraphrase an old saying"> I think "there are lies, damn lies <"and Se*chem"> .

cheers Darrel
Haha 😂 brilliant @dw1305 .....cracked me up that did

Hi all,
there is Biohome Ultimate filter media a the top of the pyramid.
The problem I have with Seachem , Biohome, Dr. Kevin Novak etc. isn't their product(s) as such, it is their advertising.

I've never used any of:
But I wouldn't have any particular problem with using any of them and I'd be fairly confident that they "work".

For me it is after that it all <"begins to unravel"> with some fairly implausible claims and some <"very careful wording">.

cheers Darrel

Yes one can make bio media with virtually anything, anyways.
But I wouldn't have any particular problem with using any of them and I'd be fairly confident that they "work".
And then there is the outrageous price and as you said the false advertisement in some instances.

Yes one can make bio media with virtually anything, anyways.

And then there is the outrageous price and as you said the false advertisement in some instances.
Just straight forward large pumice blocks used for bbq cleaning are equally as good I would have said, and super chap aswell

Just a little progress update on my Firsty journey/journal.
I've been overseas visiting family, so the tank has skipped two water changes.

Im glad to say no algae had appeared, but boy has the tank gone rampant mass/mess in growth. Could this be due to a higher build up of fertilisers in the water through no water changes, so consistent co2 and no changing of water stats when doing big water changes?

Also, my echinodorus ozelot, not only has it grown many monstrous leaves, but there is one of the thickest flower stems I have ever seen, easily reaching close to a meter tall, with buds under and above water,
IMG_20220720_135841.jpg
IMG_20220719_180600.jpg
and ready to sprout what looks like ELEVEN or so flowers...... I'm simply gob smacked at the radical change? Any thoughts?

Haha I wish, they should be really, they could have then trimmed it for me whilst I was away haha. As I'd topped up the sump to much higher than normal to ensure the sump didn't evaporate too much, it was just pre mixed ei ferts and once a week feeding of its inhabitants.
Even the bloody Mary shrimp 🦐 have popped out lots of babies which has only happened once before, yet their are hundreds of little purple dots all over the tank. It just looks so lush and vibrant, albeit a mess but still

I reckon It’s like the cat that is perfectly happy on its own all day and as soon as you get home it vomits in your shoe! It’s doing it to prove that it was just fine without you! 😂

I reckon It’s like the cat that is perfectly happy on its own all day and as soon as you get home it vomits in your shoe! It’s doing it to prove that it was just fine without you! 😂
Hahaha that's brilliant lol. Im waiting on the vomit part to happen ha

Back