• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
did you get neon rainbows want a serene tank? :confused:
haha no, definitely after a lively tank this time round. Great watching the males sorting the pecking order.[DOUBLEPOST=1406706265][/DOUBLEPOST]
nice fish...a bit to jumpy for an open tank otherwise I would have the same kind.
sure are, first jumper within 2 minutes of introduction.. i have a cunning solution though ill share once sorted, currently cling film covering a lot of the gaps.

praecox seem to have settled a lot, not so twitchy and trying to leap out of the tank anymore. Live food twice daily seems to have got them going nicely, males are flashing and chasing with the colours coming through.

I have to also say im over the moon with the giesemann futura, i have tweeked the colour mix and the blue on the praecox is BANGING! Light was worth every penny lol

so been thinking about the last fish (for now) to stock in the near future. Would ideally like a couple of pairs of smaller less active bottom dwellers....
current thinking peacock gobies, german blue rams or an apistogamma however my fish knowledge sucks so always open to ideas...
Also pretty tempted to add a small group of larger rainbows but thats not because they would look good in the tank, just i think i have a rainbow fetish at the moment.:rolleyes:

Will have some time tomorrow night for some new images and maybe a sneaky video...

current thinking peacock gobies, german blue rams or an apistogamma however my fish knowledge sucks so always open to ideas...

All three fish have great personality! The gobies are probably the easiest of the lot. Rams are great but they can be very hard to keep depending on where you source them from. Most stores get them from Asia where the fish are injected with hormones to enhance their colours, they also keep them in poor tank conditions with medicine to avoid illness. These to reasons combined usually makes them die in the home aquarium due to the lack of medicine in the water etc. Apistogrammas are also very easy to care for, if it is your first Apisto I would advice you to go for A. Cacatuoides or A. Borellii which are usually suggested for a beginner in terms of keeping their first Apistos. However, I started out with an Apistogramma Hongsloi which I kept for 4 years without problem so there is another one to keep in mind should you fancy it. If that isn't enough, another dwarf cichlid which you can consider keeping is the kribensis which is another easy fish the keep and will almost certainly spawn in your aquarium! No matter what you pick they all have great personalities.

A common thing with all of them is that they will prefer a cave or something similar to hang out, but it is not really a must but it will be appreciated. I know mine didn't like the DIY coconut caves I made and preferred to hangout under my driftwood and fight for the spot with the Bristlenose!

Hi all,
I like either the Gobies or Apistogramma. Rams need soft warm water and have all the problems that "Michael W" mentioned.

As long as your water isn't very hard? Apistogramma cacatuoides is a great fish to keep. If your water is softer then there are a lot of other options, A. borellii, A. macmasteri, A agassizii, A. hongsloi are all reasonably easy to obtain and keep.

cheers Darrel

Also pretty tempted to add a small group of larger rainbows but thats not because they would look good in the tank, just i think i have a rainbow fetish at the moment.:rolleyes:/quote]

I'd definitely go with more bows. Fantastic range of colours and they'll really show off their colours in a heavily planted tank. In natural morning daylight the males sparring colours are amazing. Such a choice and I'm sure Sanjeev Kumar could help advise you better. Just check out his journal for inspiration.
[DOUBLEPOST=1406840169][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry, still getting to grips with this quote thingy! :confused:

I wouldn't add any bigger fish mate as it'll throw out the sense of scale and focus away from the hardscape etc.
I found my praecox settled after a few weeks when I kept them.
Gobies would go great especially as they'll be all over your rocks

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

the peacock goby was the original plan and i added some 28mm tubing either end at the back for caves... quite likely ill stick to them.
Think empires are a little bit big for scale. Thanks for the input :thumbup:

All three fish have great personality!
cheers for all the info michael, ive kept kribs before and would like to give some apistos a go.... maybe another tank.

Hi all,
I like either the Gobies or Apistogramma. Rams need soft warm water and have all the problems that "Michael W" mentioned.
As long as your water isn't very hard? Apistogramma cacatuoides is a great fish to keep. If your water is softer then there are a lot of other options, A. borellii, A. macmasteri, A agassizii, A. hongsloi are all reasonably easy to obtain and keep.

water is super soft at the moment so lits of options and Rams do look stunning if they settle and mature. Ill look over those apistos later darel. ;)

I wouldn't add any bigger fish mate as it'll throw out the sense of scale and focus away from the hardscape etc.
I found my praecox settled after a few weeks when I kept them.
Gobies would go great especially as they'll be all over your rocks
Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2
could always take them out for photos al :p ive been spending a lot of time watching sanj's videos, easy to see how addictive rainbows can be!
They seem to have settled a lot over the last few days, they dont care about me anymore and they are perpetually hungy! great watching the males square up to each other.

Another cracking scape. That's some height you've managed to achieve with the banking...very impressive.
cheers mate, good chance it may end up being an impressive failure... the front slope which is the steepest is slipping/settling a bit. Will help if i stop mucking around with planting across that section.

So i removed a lot of the mystery plant and planted some invitro stauro repens which melted, then added some emersed stauro which dumped all emersed leaves but is showing signs of recovery now and i have just added some more immersed from another member. Hopefully it will be looking good in a few weeks.

Due to the melt from the invitro i have added a little powerhead to aid flow across the middle of the mound while it roots and upped the bubble count a little.
Also removed, trimmed and replanted all the stems as they were almost at the surface. I planted them in groups which didnt benefit them so have split them up into single stems so improved flow across the back.
Few teething problems as usual but nothing to worrying, as GSA it getting worse on the rocks.... not something i was planning but have a twinstar en route :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the input guys, will endeavor to keep you updated...

Nice link Darrel, trouble is it will give me too many ideas!

My solution to jumping praecox... Bar shelf matting and some suction cups...
9ajega9e.jpg

Works a treat and no too obtrusive.

Nice link Darrel, trouble is it will give me too many ideas!

My solution to jumping praecox... Bar shelf matting and some suction cups...
9ajega9e.jpg

Works a treat and no too obtrusive.
Necessity is the mother of invention...;) Honestly...the lengths we go to...:rolleyes:

P.S. they are beauties...

Warts and all...
So few issues with this one at the moment which now I think about it happens everytime around 6-8 week mark!
I get comfortable, over estimate my ability, get busy with work, fiddle with co2 and light in a rush then suffer the consequences!!
So work got busy again, co2 ran out (noob!) for 2 days and didn't notice as working lates so the issues with stauro I already have got worse. Now mostly melted but will see if I can save it but worst of all the bucephaldra dumped a lot of their leaves :(

So lights turned down, co2 up, WC increase and generally care increased... Will see what happens...?

Photos will follow later.

Yeah sure, love a headache Andy :p

In truth aside from it being bad timing I don't mind this one. I've never managed stauro in a big tank it's failed everytime so I'm committed to persevering this time to find out why.... Aside letting co2 run out!

I am gutted about the buce's though, being so close to the light they are walking a fine line. Probably take 6 months to get their leaves back :(

One day I'll have a trouble free 120, one day.....

Back