• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kuhlis and substrate

They are great fish & it is always nice to see one - I normally consider it a time of celebration when one of my trio appear as this happens about once every blue moon!
I have one that is huge, must be 100mm, I have been wanting to photograph him for about 2 years now so it must be time for him to show his face soon? :?

foxfish said:
They are great fish & it is always nice to see one - I normally consider it a time of celebration when one of my trio appear as this happens about once every blue moon!
I have one that is huge, must be 100mm, I have been wanting to photograph him for about 2 years now so it must be time for him to show his face soon? :?

Haha I think I saw mine most often when i did a filter clean!!

They do have alot of character though but they are like ninjas!!

Just a quick updaye on this.
I've had 6 Black Kuhlis for a couple of weeks now. They seem happy with the Adakama, and are actually quite active. I liked the look of them as they seemed more active than regular Kuhlis in the shop, and whilst they're not as pretty, the Blacks are full of character and regularly seen, especially at feeding time.

@somethingfishy They don't stay still for very long, so I don't know how easy they'll be to photograph, but I'll see what I can do.

I,ve heard(from a friend with a sandy substrate) That his Corys prefer sand as well.
I,ve also gone down the cat litter route so would corys be OK with cat litter?

From my limited knowledge i would say the reasons are different for corys and kuhlis. Kuhlis would probably be happiest in soil only substrate covered with loads of leaf mass. Never going to happen?!. in average aquarium, ie one or two plants and a bit of wood they will tend to hide or bury themselves in substrate. give them loads of cover, as in a planted tank and theyll be out all day and have no need to try amd bury themselves. A lot of corys however feed by sucking in substrate and sifting food particles. they cant do this with larger substrate, however as long as its clean im led to believe they will be perfectly healthy. all talk of rotting barbels is down to cleanliness not substrate type. *disclaimer* this is only what ive read " standing on the shoulders of giants" and all that!

Back