• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kribensis young

martinmjr62

Evening all just thought I'd post a picture of my sons new family. Don't know much about these they're in his bedroom tank. Only a few days old
e6u5uhas.jpg
zu7eza3y.jpg

Cheers
Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just like to say sorry for the crap photos. Can't get too close as the parents get spooked and Shepard the young to safety. Fascinating to watch the young following the parents around and watching the parents looking out for anyone who comes too close to them. They built a small nest area under a wood root covered by Anubis. My son only noticed them at the weekend

Cheers
Martin

They are normaly good parents young like artemia naupli(freshly hatched brie shrimp).Its a great thing to witness well done.Cheers mark

The parents will look after them until they are about an inch or they want to breed again which ever comes first, they will take them around the tank on day trips to feed in different spots when one spot drys up. Great things and the first Cichlid I had breed and what started my love of them.

As long as the tank is mature there will be plenty of food in there for them, when they get a bit bigger they will eat the tetra fry powder. Just get a pinch in your fingers stick your fingers in the water and swish it about a bit :)

Cheers for the comments guys. My sons quite chuffed that they have bred. He doesn't live with us at the moment and pops back a couple of times a week to check/ feed the fish. He noticed that they had dug out a nest a few weeks ago and only spotted the fry on Sunday. I'll keep you posted with updates on their progress

Cheers
Martin

As has been said, Pelvicachromis are good parents and if you leave the fry in the tank they will postpone laying the next batch for longer. You'll find you can leave them in about 10-12 weeks if you're lucky. You will need to grow them on more before they get to sellable size though to be able to move them on easily for some store credit.

BTW most other Pelvicachromis species you see in stores are almost as easy to breed and they have some stunning colours; West African cichlids are brilliant!

majyny5a.jpg
sevepe7a.jpg

More shots of the fry with mum and dad. Again sorry for the pics. Haven't got a decent camera so taking them on iPhone when I get a chance.

agypy4u4.jpg
ujebydu4.jpg

Lovely fish Martin. Pelvicachromis kribensis are among the most beautiful of cichlids IMO with great character and behaviour. I took this footage of mother Krib herding her fry by mouth yesterday at my girlfriend's. The parents are F1 offspring from fish in my office tank where I had not observed them using their mouth to move the fry backwards and forwards. The fish in this video move their fry to the shell in the morning which acts as a play-pen during the day. At night, fry are moved to a more secluded spot in the tank.

Nice video mate. Gonna be interesting watching these grow. It's the first lot of fry my sons had in his tank in a good few years and now he's not living here its a shame he doesn't see them

More pictures of the fry
yqu6u7y9.jpg

y5ute8y5.jpg
y6yry5ug.jpg

Back